Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making protein prep solutions

1. Aug 22, 2005 #1
    I have searched and searched till my eyes fall out, but can not find any recipes for making these solutions. :grumpy: Anyone can help me out?

1mM tributylphosphine
    1%SDS
    10 M Urea

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2005 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It mostly a matter of you calculating the weight required for 1 mM solution and a 10 M solution. Urea is solid and Tributylphosphine is usually in liquid. Both should be found in your lab. It is basic chemistry.

As far the SDS solution goes, it is probably w/v but it might be specifiy. So when dealing with percentages in a recipe in term of w/v, it is about an amount of grams per 100 mL of solution. Therefore, it would be 1 g of SDS per 100 mL of solution.

4. Aug 22, 2005 #3
    hI iAN,

I am thinking of the solvent (?) to dissolve these stuffs. For example for SDS solution, should i use sterile water or buffers?

5. Aug 22, 2005 #4

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

SDS and Urea can be diluted into distilled deionized water. Usually, if a chemical solution requires to be prepare in a buffer, it should be mention in the name of solution.

For tributylphosphine, I am not sure but sigma keeps their 200 mM solution in N-methyl-2-pyrrolidine.
    http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/search/ProductDetail/SIGMA/T7567

You may want to check this reference given by sigma.
    Herbert, B., et al., Reduction and alkylation of proteins in preparation of two dimensional map analysis: why, when, and how?. Electrophoresis 22, 2046-57, (2001)

6. Aug 23, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whenever you're in doubt, check the spec sheet that comes with the chemicals for information on solubility. If the chemicals didn't come with a spec sheet and you aren't sure, contact the manufacturer for solubility information.

7. Aug 23, 2005 #6
    if you are doing protein chemistry you should really use nanopure water.

% sds is almost always w/v

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?