Is It a Stress vs Strain Plot or a Stress-Strain Curve?

• Thread starter Ajwrighter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses the instructions for creating a stress-strain plot and curve for a given set of data. The question asks whether a stress-strain plot or a stress-strain curve is needed, and if both are required, whether the data should be pooled together or separated. The final part of the conversation clarifies that a stress-strain curve should be used, and explains how to determine the modulus using the data.
Ajwrighter
View attachment instructionsaj1.bmp
here is what I've obtained

Data:

View attachment dataaj1.bmp

Increasing (με) (μin/in) and decreaseing (με) (μin/in) are both STRAIN
[Increasing σ (psi)] and decreaseing σ (psi) are both STRESS]

My question is. From the directions above, is it asking for a plot of Stress vs Strain or a Stress-Strain curve. And in either case. How many. Should I pool all the data together for one plot or for two? Or is it asking for both a plot and a curve?

further down it asks for: "use data from the most linear portion of the curve to calculate Modulus of the alloy using the following stress-strain equation (recall that the Modulus is the slope of the linear portion of the stress-strain curve, so the equation is the slope of a line)

To me this says to use a stress-strain curve. But why did it ask for a stress vs strain plot? I've spent way too long trying to interpret the directions.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should make a stress-strain plot for the increasing loads, and a separate stress-strain plot for the decreasing loads. You are then asked whether the curve that best fits the data is linear. If so, then indicate such. If not, then identify the largest interval over which the data are approximately linear, and find the line of best fit (this is a necessary step in determining the modulus).

I understand your confusion with the directions. It seems like the instructions are not very clear and may be asking for both a plot and a curve. However, based on the information provided, it seems like the main objective is to create a stress-strain curve and calculate the modulus of the alloy using the linear portion of the curve.

In terms of the number of plots and curves, it is best to clarify with the person or source providing the instructions. If it is not specified, I would suggest creating both a plot and a curve to ensure all aspects are covered. Additionally, it may be helpful to pool all the data together for a more comprehensive analysis.

Overall, it is important to communicate clearly and precisely when giving instructions in scientific research, as it can save time and avoid confusion. If you are still unsure about the directions, it may be best to reach out to the person or source for clarification.

1. What is the purpose of making a graph?

The purpose of making a graph is to visually represent data in a way that is easy to understand and interpret. This allows for patterns and trends to be easily identified and conclusions to be drawn.

2. What are the different types of graphs?

There are several types of graphs, including line graphs, bar graphs, pie charts, scatter plots, and histograms. Each type is best suited for representing different types of data and relationships between variables.

3. How do you choose the appropriate type of graph for your data?

The appropriate type of graph depends on the type of data you are working with. For example, if you want to show changes over time, a line graph would be most suitable. If you want to compare quantities, a bar graph would be more appropriate. It is important to consider the characteristics of your data before choosing a graph type.

4. What are the key elements of a graph?

The key elements of a graph include the title, axis labels, data points, and a legend (if applicable). The title should describe what the graph is representing, the axis labels should clearly indicate what is being measured, and the data points should be clearly marked and labeled. A legend is used to explain the meaning of different colors or symbols on the graph.

5. How can you interpret a graph?

To interpret a graph, you should first examine the title and axis labels to understand what is being represented. Then, look at the data points to identify any patterns or trends. You can also use the scale on the axis to determine the relative size or quantity of the data. Lastly, consider the context of the data to draw conclusions and make interpretations.