Solving for Extrema of Proper Time Integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of extremizing the proper time by using calculus of variations. The method from Mary Boas' mathematical methods book is shown, but it cannot be applied to the problem at hand. To solve the integral, the worldline must be parametrized with an arbitrary parameter, and the Lagrangian and canonical momenta are defined. The Euler-Lagrange equations are then applied, leading to a simplified equation (5.62) in the text.
Kashmir
The question is to extremize the proper time : ##\begin{aligned}\int d\tau=\int ( dt^{2}-dx^{2}\\ -dy^{2} \\ -dz^2)^{1/2} \end{aligned}##

I've studied calculus of variations somewhat and a can solve a similar problem which I found in the mathematical methods book the author Mary Boas. The way she solves a similar problem is shown below, however I can't use that method for my problem of extremising the proper time above.

I would like to get some help to solve the above integral similar to the way shown below :

Given a problem to find ##y## that makes the integral stationary ##
I=\int_{x_1}^{x_2} F\left(x, y, y^{\prime}\right) d x
##
where ##F## is a given function. The ##y(x)## which makes ##I## stationary is called an extremal whether ##I## is a maximum or minimum or neither. We consider a set of varied curves ##
Y(x)=y(x)+\epsilon \eta(x)
##
just as before. Then we have
##
I(\epsilon)=\int_{x_1}^{x_2} F\left(x, Y, Y^{\prime}\right) d x,
##
and we want ##(d / d \epsilon) I(\epsilon)=0## when ##\epsilon=0##. Remembering that ##Y##and ##Y^{\prime}## are functions of ##\epsilon##, and differentiating under the integral sign with respect to ##\epsilon##, we get
##
\frac{d I}{d \epsilon}=\int_{x_1}^{x_2}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial Y} \frac{d Y}{d \epsilon}+\frac{\partial F}{\partial Y^{\prime}} \frac{d Y^{\prime}}{d \epsilon}\right) d x .
##

Substituting (2.1) and (2.5) into (2.11), we have
##\frac{d I}{d \epsilon}=\int_{x_1}^{x_2}\left[\frac{\partial F}{\partial Y} \eta(x)+\frac{\partial F}{\partial Y^{\prime}} \eta^{\prime}(x)\right] d x ##
We want ##d I / d \epsilon=0## at ##\epsilon=0##; recall that ##\epsilon=0## means ##Y=y## Then (2.12) gives
##\left(\frac{d I}{d \epsilon}\right)_{\epsilon=0}=\int_{x_1}^{x_2}\left[\frac{\partial F}{\partial y} \eta(x)+\frac{\partial F}{\partial y^{\prime}} \eta^{\prime}(x)\right] d x=0 ##

Assuming that ##y^{\prime \prime}## is continuous, we can integrate the second term by parts just as in the straight-line problem:
##
\int_{x_1}^{x_2} \frac{\partial F}{\partial y^{\prime}} \eta^{\prime}(x) d x=\left.\frac{\partial F}{\partial y^{\prime}} \eta(x)\right|_{x_1} ^{x_2}-\int_{x_1}^{x_2} \frac{d}{d x}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y^{\prime}}\right) \eta(x) d x .
##
The integrated term is zero as before because ##\eta(x)## is zero at ##x_1## and ##x_2####
\left(\frac{d I}{d \epsilon}\right)_{\epsilon=0}=\int_{x_1}^{x_2}\left[\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}-\frac{d}{d x} \frac{\partial F}{\partial y^{\prime}}\right] \eta(x) d x=0 .
##
since ##\eta(x)## is arbitrary, we must have
##
\frac{d}{d x} \frac{\partial F}{\partial y^{\prime}}-\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}=0 . \quad \text { Euler equation }
##

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to parametrize the worldline with an arbitrary parameter ##\lambda##. The Lagrangian then reads
$$L=\sqrt{\dot{x}^{\mu} \dot{x}^{\nu} \eta_{\mu \nu}},$$
where ##\dot{x}^{\mu}=\mathrm{d}_{\lambda} x^{\mu}##. The "canonical momenta" are
$$p_{\mu} = \partial_{\dot{x}^{\mu}} L = \frac{\dot{x}^{\mu}}{\sqrt{\dot{x}^{\rho} \dot{x}^{\sigma} \eta_{\rho \sigma}}}=\mathrm{d}_{\tau} x^{\mu}.$$
Then the Euler-Lagrange equations say
$$\dot{p}_{\mu} = 0.$$
Now
$$\dot{p}_{\mu} = (\mathrm{d}_{\lambda} \tau) \mathrm{d}_{\tau} p_{\mu}=0 \; \Rightarrow \; \mathrm{d}_{\tau} p_{\mu}=0 \; \Rightarrow \; \mathrm{d}_{\tau}^2 x^{\mu}=0 \; \Rightarrow \; x^{\mu}=p_{0}^{\mu} \tau + x_0^{\mu}$$
with ##p_0^{\mu}=\text{const}## and ##x_0^{\mu}=\text{const}##.

• Informative
Likes Dale
Can you please simplify it ? I can't understand the terminology.

Kashmir said:
Can you please simplify it ? I can't understand the terminology.
There's a proof of the Euler-Lagrange equations in the more general case in Neuenschwander's book Emmy Noether's Wonderful Theorem. We have a functional:
$$J = \int_a^b L(t, x^{\mu}, \dot x^{\mu}) \ dt$$The ##\{x^{\mu}(t)\}## that make ##J## extremal satisfy:
$$\frac{\partial L}{\partial x^{\mu}} = \frac{d}{dt}\bigg (\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot x^{\mu}} \bigg )$$Hartle doesn't give a proof of this but obviously uses the result, e.g. in equations (5.56) and later.

Additionally for GR, of course, you have to take ##t = x^0## and use some dummy parameter ##\sigma##. So, you have something like:
$$\tau_{ab} = \int_a^b d\tau = \int_a^b\big [-g_{\alpha \beta}dx^{\alpha}dx^{\beta} \big]^{\frac 1 2}$$$$= \int_0^1\big [-g_{\alpha \beta}\frac{dx^{\alpha}}{d\sigma}\frac{dx^{\beta}}{d\sigma} \big]^{\frac 1 2} \ d\sigma$$Where, without loss of generality, I've assumed ##\sigma \in [0,1]##.

Note that we have $$L = \frac{d\tau}{d\sigma} = \big [-g_{\alpha \beta}\frac{dx^{\alpha}}{d\sigma}\frac{dx^{\beta}}{d\sigma} \big]^{\frac 1 2}$$And, if you have ##g_{\alpha \beta} = \eta_{\alpha \beta}##, then the Euler-Lagrange equations yield:$$\frac{d^2x^{\mu}}{d\tau^2} = 0$$which is equation (5.62) in my edition of Hartle.

Likes vanhees71
PS The first few chapters of Neuenschwander's book (or equivalent) are almost essential prerequisites for GR (and, in fact, most advanced modern physics). The basic calculus of variations in Boas may leave too much of a gap.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the "Proper Time Integral" in the context of solving for extrema?

The Proper Time Integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total amount of time experienced by an object in a particular reference frame. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity.

2. Why is solving for extrema of proper time integral important in physics?

Solving for extrema of proper time integral allows us to determine the path that an object takes through space-time that minimizes or maximizes the total time experienced. This is important in understanding the behavior of objects in motion and can help us make predictions about their future movements.

3. What are the main steps involved in solving for extrema of proper time integral?

The main steps involved in solving for extrema of proper time integral include setting up the integral, finding the Lagrangian function, using the Euler-Lagrange equation to find the extrema, and evaluating the integral to get the total time experienced.

4. Can solving for extrema of proper time integral be applied to any object in motion?

Yes, solving for extrema of proper time integral can be applied to any object in motion, as long as we know the object's path through space-time and its velocity at each point along that path.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving for extrema of proper time integral?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of solving for extrema of proper time integral, such as in the design of spacecraft trajectories, optimization of transportation routes, and predicting the behavior of particles in particle accelerators.