Verifying Physics Calcs for 25k RPM Motor/Flywheel

In summary, the conversation discusses the practicality of using a single flywheel attached to a motor handle to spin at 25,000 rpm. The physics equations of angular frequency, torque, and tangential velocity are mentioned, but the lack of specific details about the system makes it difficult to determine the accuracy of the relationships. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of achieving the necessary speed with a human arm, but more concrete evidence or experimentation would be needed to support this argument.
jumi
This isn't really a homework problem, more of a "I'm-building-something-and-need-to-make-sure-the-physics-are-right-before-I-build-something-impractical" problem.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(I grouped it all together, easier for me to not separate each segment)

I need to spin a motor handle/crank at 25,000 rpm. I need to show that using a single flywheel attached to the spinning motor handle is unpractical.

I know that 25,000rpm is ~2618 rad/sec; this value should be angular frequency, ω, correct?

Then relating that to torque, tau = Iω, where I = mr^2 for a ring of radius r and mass m. And torque also equals tau = rFsinθ, where θ = 90°.

Therefore, Iω = rF

and F = mrω.

Assuming m = 1 kg, r = 0.5 m, F = ~1309 N

Therefore torque = ~655 Nm.

Are the physics relationships correct?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also, tangential velocity is v = rω, correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

jumi said:
This isn't really a homework problem, more of a "I'm-building-something-and-need-to-make-sure-the-physics-are-right-before-I-build-something-impractical" problem.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(I grouped it all together, easier for me to not separate each segment)

I need to spin a motor handle/crank at 25,000 rpm. I need to show that using a single flywheel attached to the spinning motor handle is unpractical.
What's a motor handle/crank? What's a motor handle? Are they the same thing? What's the purpose of the flywheel? What is to be considered "unpractical"?

At 25,000 rpm you're going to have to be awfully careful about symmetry and balance. Material stresses and strains could lead to "an unfortunate incident" type of behavior.
I know that 25,000rpm is ~2618 rad/sec; this value should be angular frequency, ω, correct?
Yes.
Then relating that to torque, tau = Iω, where I = mr^2 for a ring of radius r and mass m. And torque also equals tau = rFsinθ, where θ = 90°.
Is the flywheel a ring or a solid disk?
Therefore, Iω = rF

and F = mrω.
No, mrω has the units of linear momentum. And what force are you describing by F? How is this force supposed to be applied?
Assuming m = 1 kg, r = 0.5 m, F = ~1309 N

Therefore torque = ~655 Nm.

Are the physics relationships correct?
You need to describe the physical system in more detail. Because the description is vague it's not possible to comment with any accuracy.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also, tangential velocity is v = rω, correct?
Yup.

gneill said:
What's a motor handle/crank? What's a motor handle? Are they the same thing? What's the purpose of the flywheel? What is to be considered "unpractical"?

At 25,000 rpm you're going to have to be awfully careful about symmetry and balance. Material stresses and strains could lead to "an unfortunate incident" type of behavior.
Yes.
Is the flywheel a ring or a solid disk?
No, mrω has the units of linear momentum. And what force are you describing by F? How is this force supposed to be applied?

You need to describe the physical system in more detail. Because the description is vague it's not possible to comment with any accuracy.

Yup.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm powering an 18V DC Motor using an electric dremel connected to the motor shaft / "handle" (idk if you're familiar with small DC motors, there's a little central shaft the sticks out of the body that is rotated to produce voltage) that's spinning at 25,000rpm. I need to show that trying to build a hand crank that one can rotate by hand is unpractical due to the high angular velocity required.

The flywheel is a ring.

The force in question is supposed to be the force applied at the edge of the flywheel (i.e. where a handle might go) perpendicular to the radius, since tau = r x F.

Does that clear some stuff up? Let me know.

Thanks.

Force won't determine the rotation speed. For a frictionless system, ANY force that provides torque will eventually lead to infinite angular speed! The trick will be applying the torque!

I think you'll have to look elsewhere for the limiting factors. For example, how might you determine what the maximum rate of motion of a human arm might be for the desired action?

Well I reasoned that since v = rω, given a flywheel with a radius of 0.5 m (anything larger would be impractical since 0.5 is pushing the practical size limit), the tangential velocity would be 1309 m/s or 2928 mph (for a value that's easier to visualize).

Therefore, no matter what speed the human arm can generate, it would not get anywhere close to the required speed, thereby making a hand crank impractical.

Is the physics of this reasoning valid?

Thanks for all the help, btw. It's been a good while since I've done rotational motion stuff.

jumi said:
Well I reasoned that since v = rω, given a flywheel with a radius of 0.5 m (anything larger would be impractical since 0.5 is pushing the practical size limit), the tangential velocity would be 1309 m/s or 2928 mph (for a value that's easier to visualize).

Therefore, no matter what speed the human arm can generate, it would not get anywhere close to the required speed, thereby making a hand crank impractical.

Is the physics of this reasoning valid?
While I agree with your conclusion, I won't be able to agree with your "physics by assertion" :smile: For a proper physics based argument you need to show why an arm cannot move fast enough, either by calculation or by experiment (You could see how many times you can move your hand, as fast as you can, in the required rotary motion over a given time interval. Have someone time it. What RPM can you achieve? BY what factor does it fall short of the required value? Is it plausible that practice would allow you to make up the difference?)
Thanks for all the help, btw. It's been a good while since I've done rotational motion stuff.
I'm happy to help!

1. How do you verify the accuracy of physics calculations for a 25k RPM motor/flywheel?

To verify the accuracy of physics calculations for a 25k RPM motor/flywheel, you can compare the calculated results to the actual experimental data. This can be done by conducting experiments with the actual motor/flywheel and measuring its performance, then comparing those results to the calculated values.

2. What factors should be considered when verifying physics calculations for a 25k RPM motor/flywheel?

When verifying physics calculations for a 25k RPM motor/flywheel, factors such as the materials used, the design and specifications of the motor/flywheel, and external factors such as friction and air resistance should be taken into consideration. These factors can affect the accuracy of the calculations and should be accounted for in the verification process.

3. Are there any specific techniques or methods for verifying physics calculations for a 25k RPM motor/flywheel?

There are various techniques and methods that can be used to verify physics calculations for a 25k RPM motor/flywheel. These may include using computer simulations, conducting experiments, and comparing the calculated values to established formulas and equations. The specific method used may depend on the specific motor/flywheel design and the available resources.

4. What potential errors or sources of inaccuracy should be considered when verifying physics calculations for a 25k RPM motor/flywheel?

When verifying physics calculations for a 25k RPM motor/flywheel, potential errors or sources of inaccuracy may include measurement errors, human error in data input, and assumptions made in the calculations. It is important to carefully review and analyze the calculations to identify any potential sources of error and account for them in the verification process.

5. How can the results of verifying physics calculations for a 25k RPM motor/flywheel be used?

The results of verifying physics calculations for a 25k RPM motor/flywheel can be used to improve the accuracy and performance of the motor/flywheel. Any discrepancies between the calculated and experimental results can be analyzed to identify areas for improvement and make necessary adjustments to the design or calculations. Additionally, the verified calculations can also be used for future designs and to inform other related projects.