Should I Take a Gap Year Before Grad School for Astrophysics Research?

In summary, the conversation discusses a senior physics major's dilemma of missing the deadline for the physics GRE exam and the options they have for continuing their education. They could either stay as an undergraduate for an extra year to take additional classes and graduate courses to better prepare for graduate school, or finish their undergraduate degree and gain research experience by working at a lab for a year. The suggestion is also made to take computer science or applied math courses, and to talk to professors for potential research opportunities that could enhance their graduate application.
majormuss
Hi everyone,
I am currently a senior majoring in physics and I am scheduled to graduate in May 2015. I am pretty set on going on to graduate school and getting a PhD in theoretical Astrophysics, however, I missed the deadline for the physics GRE and I was consequently not able to take the exam. I can still get my undergraduate physics BS degree by May, but I now have 2 options, right? I could stay as an undergrad for 1 more year, and take additional classes including graduate courses that will make me more prepared for grad school. Or I could finish my undergraduate degree, graduate, and then work at a lab for 1 year to gain more research experience. Is the 2nd option possible? If so where could I get a job as a researcher in theoretical astrophysics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could take some compsci or applied math courses. For compsci look for computer simulations or computer modeling. These might come in handy as a lot of astrophysics requires computer work.

Talk with your profs about what's the best thing to do. Maybe they will have some work that will look good on your graduate application? that you could take as an independent study or research.

What is a gap year?

A gap year is a period of time, typically taken after high school or before starting college, where a person takes a break from their formal education to engage in other activities such as travel, volunteering, or working.

Why should I take a gap year?

A gap year can provide valuable experiences and personal growth. It allows individuals to explore their interests, gain new skills, and gain a better understanding of themselves and the world around them. It can also provide a break from the academic pressure and help individuals figure out their future goals.

How do I make the most of my gap year?

The key to making the most of a gap year is to have a plan. Set clear goals and make a list of activities that align with those goals. Consider volunteering, internships, traveling, or taking classes. It's also important to be open-minded and willing to step out of your comfort zone to fully embrace the experience.

Will taking a gap year affect my academic future?

There is no evidence that taking a gap year negatively affects academic performance. In fact, many students report feeling more motivated and focused after taking a gap year. However, it's important to communicate with your chosen college or university and make sure they allow gap years and have a plan for re-enrollment.

What are some potential challenges of taking a gap year?

Some challenges of taking a gap year may include financial constraints, homesickness, and difficulty adjusting to a new environment. It's important to plan and budget accordingly, stay in touch with loved ones, and be open to new experiences and challenges. It's also helpful to research and prepare for potential cultural differences if traveling abroad.