Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making this a better place

1. Jul 21, 2007 #1
    How do some people say that they can make this world a better place when it is impossible?

I don't have any proofs, but think it is impossible to end
    >>wars
    >>poverty
    >>racism
    >>crime

I constantly try to find solutions (not like those traditional ones)
    And the only solution I found is that make my own world (a society, a religion(currently mostly buddism+east asian ones+some ideas from other traditional religions)) ...But due to my constant interactions with the real world this really doesn't work :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

To make the world "better", is it necessary to "end" those things or just reduce them?

4. Jul 21, 2007 #3
    But if I like help one poor kid (and thus reduce), would that be unfair to all other kids who are also suffering same way?
    yea, reducing is possible but it really isn't a good way.

And, don't you think that the way parents made their kids think that they belong to a certain nation, culture, and religion is purely wrong?
    Like, in my case, I really really hate when someone wants me to be attached more to people from my culture, nation, and religion rather than people from other ethinicities. And also when I see how people who share similar backgrounds tend to stick together...
    I think this is a really big problem.. as results in wars, racism...

5. Jul 21, 2007 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Why would that be unfair? Would it be more unfair than doing nothing? And what does fairness have to do with this issue anyway?
    Why not? Especially if reducing it is possible but eliminating it is not...
    The world today is much more a globalized community than it has ever been. Every well-off country goes to great lengths to help those in other countries and I don't know anyone who doesn't have empathy for those in bad situations. There is a problem, though, of not having the ability to directly influence the condition of people outside your country. Heck, even trying to help people sometimes causes wars!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?