What is the Role of DNA Imprinting in Genetic Diseases?

• Thread starter Ken Natton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dna
In summary, the conversation discusses an article about a study that found fetal DNA in a mother's brain, which may act differently than the mother's own DNA. The researchers looked for Y-chromosome DNA, making it easier to test. There is a difference between male and female DNA, known as imprinting, which can affect the development of certain diseases.
Ken Natton
Here you go. I’m interested in what the experts say about this. On another forum, my attention was drawn to this article:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technol...ains-commonly-flooded-male-dna-225612162.html

Male DNA? Female DNA? There’s no such thing, surely. Only human DNA. I mean, I know about the ‘Y’ chromosome, but apart from the reality of what that is and how it does what it does, that is clearly not what they mean here. So is this bad science or bad journalism? I am going to be astonished if you tell me that it is both good science and good journalism. It will put me back pretty much to square one.

Biology news on Phys.org
The point of the article is not that there is specifically "male DNA" that is within the "female DNA" of the mother's brain. Rather, the point of the article is to show that a fetus' DNA can be found in a mother's brain. Because this DNA comes from a different individual (not because the DNA comes from a male), this DNA may act differently than the mother's own DNA (although it's not yet clear from the research if the DNA is doing anything).

The reason the article focuses on male DNA is that the researchers performed the study by looking for Y-chromosome DNA in the mothers' brains. Because mothers do not have Y-chromosomes, the testing was easier than looking for other types of DNA.

Thank you, Ygggdrasil, for a very lucid response. Do you mind if I quote you back on the other forum? (Its a small UK forum with fewer visitors to the entire site than visit one thread on one forum here. And it is not of a scientific nature, it is a general discussion forum.)

Sure, go ahead. Just provide a link back to this thread, so that maybe we can attract some new people to PF :)

Ken Natton said:
Male DNA? Female DNA? There’s no such thing, surely. Only human DNA.

Actually there is such a thing, but as Ygggdrasil explained that is different from the subject of the research study.

Just to be complete: DNA gets differentially marked in the egg or sperm, this is called imprinting. If a child inherits a mutation in a certain gene, either from the mother or the father, it can (not always) make a difference to what disease it'll develop.

For example: if a defective part of chromosome 15 is inherited from the mother, the child will develop Angelman syndrome. However, if the child inherits the exact same defect but from the father it will develop Prader-Willi syndrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelman_syndrome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prader-Willi_syndrome

1. What is the difference between male DNA and female DNA?

The main difference between male and female DNA is the presence of a Y chromosome in males. This Y chromosome contains genes that are responsible for male characteristics such as facial hair and a deeper voice. Females do not have a Y chromosome and instead have two X chromosomes.

2. Do males and females have the same amount of DNA?

Yes, both males and females have the same amount of DNA. However, the distribution of this DNA differs between males and females due to the presence of the Y chromosome in males.

3. Can male and female DNA be distinguished from each other?

Yes, male and female DNA can be distinguished from each other through a process called DNA profiling. This technique looks at specific regions of the DNA sequence that vary between individuals, including those on the Y chromosome.

4. Is it possible for males and females to have the same DNA?

Yes, it is possible for males and females to have the same DNA. This can occur in identical twins, who share the same DNA from the egg fertilized by a sperm. However, even in this case, males will have a Y chromosome while females will have two X chromosomes.

5. How does male DNA and female DNA affect traits and characteristics?

In most cases, male and female DNA do not have a significant impact on traits and characteristics. However, there are some genetic conditions that are sex-linked, meaning they are more prevalent in one sex due to the presence of specific genes on the Y chromosome. Additionally, the expression of certain genes may be influenced by sex hormones, leading to differences in physical features between males and females.