Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Male house keepers

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Why is it that often times men are labeled bad house keepers, so may be in olden times not many men did house work, but there was a point ,may be the 1960/70s where men became more active in the home, so we have had 30 yrs or more to catch up with females.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2009 #2
    I think it's more that we do things differently. How many of us have used a shop-vac on the carpet because we think that silly little Hoover couldn't possibly pick up rocks and sawdust? Of course then you have to explain to your wife why there are rocks and sawdust on the carpet and you get to explain how you saved time by repairing the wheelbarrow while watching the evening news (apparently only men "save" time this way).

And, when you cook, do you plan sequences of utensil use so that you have the minimum amount of cleanup? A measuring cup used for water can later be used for egg batter, no matter what order the recipe says.

4. Jan 5, 2009 #3

wolram

Gold Member

I all ways do, minimum washing up is all ways my goal, and i have a small kitchen so clutter
    must be avoided, but then not every thing that comes out of my oven is every bodies cup of tea.

5. Jan 5, 2009 #4
    Exactly! Also important is the sequence to cut veggies and meat with one and the same knive.

6. Jan 5, 2009 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Yes but, i bet not every female works to a pattern, i do because i am basically lazy and will not use more than i have to.

7. Jan 5, 2009 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Looks like my love to one pot dishes will be perfectly understood in this thread :smile:

8. Jan 5, 2009 #7

Evo

I measure dry ingredients first so that I don't have to dry the cup after measuring liquid, same thing with measuring spoons. I've just gotten really lazy.

9. Jan 5, 2009 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had a male house keeper for about a year, he wasn't bad. Until I asked him to clean the windows, three times, the third time he wrote a note saying that he had already cleaned the windows twice, but that he would do it again. It never occurred to him that you also need to clean the (moldy) window frames..

10. Jan 5, 2009 #9

wolram

Gold Member

Do not forget house keeping is not all cooking, like today i de cobwebed and vacuumed :approve:

11. Jan 5, 2009 #10

Evo

Come live with me Wolram. :!!)

12. Jan 5, 2009 #11

wolram

Gold Member

I guess (some men) need detailed instructions.

13. Jan 5, 2009 #12
    so it was poor instructions? we're not mind readers, you know.

n/m wolram beat me to it.

14. Jan 5, 2009 #13
    Evo, yes you understand the method!

So, has anyone else ever tried to dust and sweep really easily using the air compressor? It only works with all the doors and windows open and no fragile/loose items.

And, have you found how well Vise-Grips work on lobster?

15. Jan 5, 2009 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Heathen!! You need the large water-pump pliers for that. Have you no respect for the culinary arts?

16. Jan 5, 2009 #15
    Apparently, someone has never watched Who's the Boss with Tony Danza Extravaganza!

[​IMG]

17. Jan 5, 2009 #16

wolram

Gold Member

I can only guess, he keeps a parrot?

18. Jan 5, 2009 #17

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The towel on his shoulder was a dead give-a-away.

Sounds like you have been taking lessons from Tim Allen. (first 4.75mins)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tX852PNNlk

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  19. Jan 5, 2009 #18

turbo

Gold Member

BTW, I am going to tell you male house-keepers this just one more time. Do not clean counters, sinks, windows, etc with cleaners. Make a 50:50 mix of 90% Isopropyl Alcohol and water and put it in spray bottles. It cleans and disinfects, and it cleans windows and mirrors with no streaks. Remember that there are two pretty good solvents in that bottle, and what water can't lift, alcohol might. This is stuff is dirt-cheap, effective, and it evaporates away cleanly without a lot of rinsing, etc. Best of all, it doesn't leave any dirt-catching residue on cleaned surfaces to make your life complicated.

20. Jan 6, 2009 #19

Borek

Isopropyl makes me cough.

21. Jan 6, 2009 #20

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am not so good with isopropanol as well, some sort of olfactory sensitivity I think. It gives me a bad headache, stuffed up sinuses, inability to concentrate. :confused: Not a good smell.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?