Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Male to female BMR differences

1. Jan 21, 2004 #1
    Hi,

What are some of the physiological factors that cause males and females to have different BMR’s (base metabolic rates)?

I’m thinking that one factor would be the difference in the fat:muscle ratio in males and females. Also, on average at least, males tend to be taller. Are there any other major reasons that may account for the BMR differences?

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2004 #2
    Higher fat percentage is the result of BMR, not the cause.

Nautica

4. Jan 21, 2004 #3
    After thinking about it, It would be both the cause and the result. Which came first???

Nautica

5. Jan 21, 2004 #4
    I think, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, that the higher fat percentage is the result of estrogen in females. Likewise the higher percentage of muscle in males is due to testosterone.

6. Jan 22, 2004 #5
    The estrogen is responsible for the female disperment of fat.

The testosterone, along with HGH, IGF-1 and receptor sites for each are responsible for muscle. With out the proper receptor sites the testosterone will not have the effect on the muscles.

For example, you can give a female and extremely high dosage of test and she will not build the muscle like a male will.

Nautica

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?