Man buys lottery ticket and

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    lottery
In summary, Donald Peters, a retired hat factory worker, bought two lottery tickets with his wife as part of their tradition. After his sudden death, his wife discovered that one ticket was a $10 million winner. Some may say it's ironic, others may call it a coincidence, but in the end, it has provided financial security for his family.
russ_watters
Mentor
On the day that Donald Peters died, he unknowingly provided financial security for his wife of 59 years and their family.
Peters bought two Connecticut Lottery tickets at a local 7-Eleven store on Nov. 1 as part of a 20-year tradition he shared with his wife Charlotte. Later that day, the 79-year-old retired hat factory worker suffered a fatal heart attack while working in his yard in Danbury.

On Friday, his widow cashed in one of the tickets: a $10 million winner which, in her grief over her husband's death, she had put aside and almost discarded before recently checking the numbers.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-01-04-conn-lottery_N.htm

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't it ironic ...

Some people have all the luck.

mgb_phys said:
Isn't it ironic ...

Don't you think?

jimmysnyder said:
Some people have all the luck.

Yeah, his wife.

mgb_phys said:
Isn't it ironic ...

Its not ironic, its coincidental!

Denton said:
Its not ironic, its coincidental!

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy a lottery ticket to be even of the loss and the income?

mgb_phys said:
Thanks, that's got to be the funniest comedy bit I've heard in a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the chances of winning the lottery?

The chances of winning the lottery vary depending on the specific lottery game and the number of people playing. Generally, the odds of winning a large jackpot are very slim, often less than 1 in millions.

How does buying multiple lottery tickets increase my chances of winning?

Buying multiple lottery tickets does increase your chances of winning, as you have more combinations of numbers to potentially match the winning numbers. However, the odds are still very low and buying more tickets does not guarantee a win.

What happens if I lose my winning lottery ticket?

If you lose your winning lottery ticket, you may still be able to claim your prize. Many lottery organizations have processes in place for lost or damaged tickets, but it's important to act quickly and provide as much proof of purchase as possible.

Is there a way to improve my chances of winning the lottery?

While there is no guaranteed way to win the lottery, there are some strategies you can use to slightly improve your odds. These include choosing less popular numbers, joining a lottery pool, and setting a budget for how much you spend on tickets.

What are the taxes on lottery winnings?

Taxes on lottery winnings vary by location, but in most cases, a portion of your winnings will be withheld for federal and state taxes. It's important to consult with a financial advisor or tax professional to understand the specific tax implications of winning the lottery in your area.