Man Dies From Posting Too Many Comments

Main Question or Discussion Point

Saw this on another board and couldn't believe it.

A WEST NYACK, N.Y. MAN was found dead at his computer apparently the victim of trying to keep up with too many professional forums. Childress H. Wanamaker, 54, an account executive at a New York-based new media company, died of starvation according to the West Nyack coroner's office. Wanamaker's emaciated body was found by Loraine, his wife of 26 years, who told MediaPost she had been bringing her husband meals on plastic trays for weeks, but that he never took the time to eat them.

"He was glued to his computer 24/7," she said tearfully. "He was so afraid he was going to miss an opportunity to contribute a comment or start a discussion, that he just stopped eating." She added that Wanamaker's last words were "OK Picard, stick that in your pipe and smoke it..."
http://www.talkroot.com/showthread.php?t=68639 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I know, I'm callous..

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Childress H. Wanamaker?? :surprised

Edit: Oh, there is a Mike Wanamaker from Nyack. :confused: http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom2/042305/23scholarweb.html [Broken]

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
But what they don't mention is the guy at snopes who died because he spent too much time debunking false claims. :biggrin:

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Ivan Seeking said:
But what they don't mention is the guy at snopes who died because he spent too much time debunking false claims. :biggrin:
Actually, he just debunked that claim as well..

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
arildno said:
Actually, he just debunked that claim as well..
Not bad a job...considering that he's dead. :confused:

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Ivan Seeking said:
Not bad a job...considering that he's dead. :confused:
. :rofl: :rofl:

iansmith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thats pretty hysterical

Awwww way to ruin my fun integral

JamesU
Gold Member
Integral said:
Does snopes have any way of proving it wrong? for all anyone knows, it couldv'e happened

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't know about snopes, but I have found other debunking sites that were flat out wrong. One non-fringe claim that comes to mind is the "urban legend" of the guy who safely rode down one of the WTC buildings from about the 28th floor or so I think... Anyway, I saw this debunked. However I also saw this guy come out of the smoke immediately after this happened! He was on camera for about five seconds and did say that this is what happened. I find it a little hard to believe that this could be debunked or that someone would lie under those circumstances. IIRC, the debunking alleged that this all started with some rumor on the radio or whatnot... I do know that the debunking did not jive with the facts that I knew beyond a doubt to be true.

Last edited:
Lisa!
Gold Member
Only men die from posting too many comments? I'm really worried about Moonbear! :uhh: She even doesn't sleep at night in order to post here. o:)

I think I've seen that before. On another note, why is Talk Root dead? :frown:

Mk
People got annoyed by the constant chattering of Talkroot beer.

Ivan Seeking said:
However I also saw this guy come out of the smoke immediately after this happened! He was on camera for about five seconds and did say that this is what happened.
What did he say happened?

Thats why my post count is low. I wish to live to 40 at least.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
What did he say happened?
That was pretty much all he said. As I recall, he came out of the smoke directly in front of the camera and stated that he had ridden the building down during the collapse. He said what floor he was on but I'm not sure of the number; I seem to remember that he said the 28th floor...Then he disappeared into the chaos.

Ivan Seeking said:
That was pretty much all he said. As I recall, he came out of the smoke directly in front of the camera and stated that he had ridden the building down during the collapse. He said what floor he was on but I'm not sure of the number; I seem to remember that he said the 28th floor...Then he disappeared into the chaos.
A brief bit of googling reveals that it is well documented that several people rode the building down and survived. I can't imagine a debunking site trying to debunk that. Can you recall what site tried to debunk this?

The Mikkelson's are pretty good at researching the rumors that come into their e-mail... I think that's their primary source of Urban Legends to be investigated.

They provide resources used to prove or disprove, they will label uncertain any that can't be nailed down, and they answer their email :)

There are a few false articles on their website, which has resulted in a few entities being caught plagiarizing them, one I remember off the top of my head is the reason Kentucky Fried Chicken switched to KFC... according to the article it was because the Commonwealth of Kentucky trademarked the term and anyone using the name Kentucky had to pay the state.

Dngrsone said:
The Mikkelson's are pretty good at researching the rumors that come into their e-mail...

...There are a few false articles on their website...
The reason they plant these is interesting: they, themselves, want to subvert the notion there is any such thing as an infallible authority that can be universally relied upon.

Urban Legends Reference Page: Lost Legends (False Authority)
Address:http://www.snopes.com/lost/false.htm

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
A brief bit of googling reveals that it is well documented that several people rode the building down and survived. I can't imagine a debunking site trying to debunk that. Can you recall what site tried to debunk this?
I don't know. It was a husband and wife team whose web site was getting some TV time. This is how it caught my attention. But it doesn't surprise me at all. This is often the norm for fringe claims.

You may remember also that on the fringe side, it was easy to find all sorts of innacurate debunking on the Kennith Arnold episode even though the original report has been available for decades.

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't know. It was a husband and wife team whose web site was getting some TV time. This is how it caught my attention.
It's very likely you misunderstood what they were trying to debunk. A NY Firechief and several people he was helping to evacuate are known to have rode the collapsing building down from something like the 28th floor, and to have survived. There were a couple odd others. Unlike your man, they had to be dug out, but it proves the survivability of the collapse by people on upper floors who didn't make it out before it came down. All the rescues were national news, and I very much doubt any skeptic was trying to debunk the possibility of "riding" the building down and surviving. That would be akin to saying the rescues were hoaxes.
You may remember also that on the fringe side, it was easy to find all sorts of innacurate debunking on the Kennith Arnold episode even though the original report has been available for decades.
I recall a lot of inaccurate repetition of the details of what he reported, but don't think I ever read a "debunking" of Arnold. In other words, I've seen the term "flying saucer" debunked, because what he saw wasn't saucer-shaped at all, they only moved like saucers "skipping over water", and were shaped more like flying wings. That's not a debunking of Arnold, but of the popular misrepresentation of what he saw.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's very likely you misunderstood what they were trying to debunk
No way. Most likely, since I saw this the truth has come out.

As for Arnold, he never reported anything with wings in the actual report. That's just another misrepresentation. That all came from the media, and perhaps even Arnold himself, but later after a book deal. That is just one example of what I mean. Look at the original report again at the bottom of the page linked below.
http://www.nicap.dabsol.co.uk/arnoldka.htm
He drew pictures of non-distinct blobs and specifically he states that he saw no tail.

Last edited: