Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Man faces 2-6 years in prison

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

....which is nothing compared to the lifetime of stupidity this guy must endure.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/6790966/detail.html

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2
    That's insane. He shouldn't get any time for that! I should think the loss of his car would serve as enough of a deterrent to future acetylene balloon making.

4. Feb 8, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I guess its illegal to have that substance in denver???

5. Feb 8, 2006 #4
    It's a gas used in welding. Can't be illegal.

6. Feb 8, 2006 #5

cronxeh

Gold Member

Ah, yes, I've heard all kinds of warm talk and compassion for the chemical from my orgo prof about ethyne :approve:

7. Feb 8, 2006 #6
    I think the illegal part is the transport of the gas in a vessel that did not have the appropriate safety factor in case of an accident. Thats the whole reason that when they transport them by flatbed truck they have those warning! Explosive! Tags all around the truck, the Gas is in thick-walled pressure vessels, and they are tied down in bundels to the sides of the truck so that they they dont go rolling off individually in case of an accident and blow up killing people.

8. Feb 8, 2006 #7

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Plus there's the whole bit that he knowingly and willingly constructed a bomb and was planing on using it.:uhh:

9. Feb 8, 2006 #8
    Honorary Darwin award - what do you say?

10. Feb 8, 2006 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Oh man...the picture of their car is priceless.

11. Feb 8, 2006 #10
    This has got to be what the cops are thinking. My impression, though, is that these guys thought they had something on the lines of a cherry bomb: a big noisemaker.

12. Feb 8, 2006 #11

I agree, but I don't think that any kind of explosive material is legal to transport if you are not qualified to do so (even if tags were put on the vehicle ). It is danger not only to the unqualified person who transports it, but to the public in general.

Galaxy33

13. Feb 8, 2006 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm stunned he would do this. Either he's a welder and should know the hazards of acetylene gas or, more likely, he's an amateur hobbyist who uses calcium carbide and water to fuel his miner's lamp.

Your old fashioned miner's lamps has two chambers. The bottom chamber holds calcium carbide and the top chamber holds water. The water is allowed to drip into the lower chamber, where it reacts with the calcium carbide to form acetylene gas. The gas is ignited to provide light.

An amateur familiar with the general principle but fuzzy on details might discover the principle could be modified. Some might find the idea of a flaming balloon flying around the room amusing. Probably surprising to find out what happens when enough of the gas accumulates and all ignites at once.

14. Feb 8, 2006 #13

cronxeh

Gold Member

Neither of those scenarios are an excuse for the amount of gas that was in that balloon and caused this explosion. This man deserves 6+ years in jail for his stupidity and sheer disregard for public safety. His celebration should not come at a price to those around him, and certainly his ignorance of exothermic rxns should not be basis for reduction of the sentence.

If anyone with background in statics wants to do some calculations on the force required to damage the car like that, please post here. I'd love to know just how much ethyne was in that balloon.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  15. Feb 8, 2006 #14
    You're right. You need a special HazMat drivers license to transport something like that.

16. Feb 8, 2006 #15
    BAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAHAH THAT PICTURE IS PRICELESS!

[​IMG]

He should have rubbed the balloon on his head to charge it up real good, and then hold it and ask someone to touch the balloon. Then there would be two less stupid people. Im amazed they did not die. Could you imagine driving down the road and the car next to you just busts out like that right beside you!? KABOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

17. Feb 8, 2006 #16
    I'm pretty sure the insurance companies are not going to help out either...

Our chemistry professor did a reaction with calcium carbide and water, basically forming acetylene gas in a small cannon. The cannon was pretty small (roughly around a foot (30.48 cm)), and cotton was stuffed at the other end of the barrel to keep the acetylene gas in the cannon.

Then he ignited the other end and then a very loud pop, sort of like a hydrogen balloon exploding but higher pitched. Now I'd imagine that was a small amount of acetylene gas in that cannon, yet they decided to fill up an entire balloon :bugeye:.

18. Feb 8, 2006 #17
    I bet all their hair was singed. I want a pic of the husband and wife with no eyebrows! LOL

19. Feb 8, 2006 #18

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I had this image of a puffer fish going down the road.............fat dumb and happy..............fat dumb and happy...................POOF!

20. Feb 9, 2006 #19

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

One would have to know the size of the balloon and how it conflagrated. Overpressure was not so great as to kill the occupants, so I doubt it was explosive. My initial guess is something on the order of 1 atm (~15 psid) overpressure, or 2 atm absolute.

21. Feb 9, 2006 #20

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a ruptured ear drum or two.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?