Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Man Glued to Toilet

1. Nov 12, 2005 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I am so sick of frivolous lawsuits. This is the kind of thing that makes costs go up for the rest of us. :grumpy:

What do you think about people that file these types of suits?

"Dougherty's lawsuit, filed Oct. 28, claims that officials at the Home Depot in Louisville called for an ambulance after he had been stuck for about 15 minutes. Paramedics unbolted the toilet seat, which separated from his skin, leaving abrasions, according to the suit.

The lawsuit claims he suffered pain, humiliation and financial losses and seeks $3 million in damages."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1302539

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I would say... an appology and a home depot gift card.

Anything else is crap. Even that is a stretch since home depot had nothing to do with the prank (unless it was an employee who did it!).

4. Nov 12, 2005 #3
    I have so terrified of super glue, having had a few traumitizing experiences with it. My nightmare is that someone puts some on the escalator and I get dragged around and into the room where they store the stairs after they get to the bottom. I land there and the stairs just keep piling on top of me

5. Nov 12, 2005 #4
    stretch? lol no pun intended

6. Nov 12, 2005 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wouldn't use the same restrooms he uses - bad luck follows him around. Home Depot was the second time he'd been glued to a public toilet.

7. Nov 12, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree. If the end result was nothing more than a few abrasions, at best, they should pay his ER bill (though, geez, they probably could have just gotten some acetone and removed it right in the store without the abrasions), assuming it was an employee. If it wasn't an employee, then whoever the prankster was is responsible for paying the bill. But that's it. Geez, what an overly melodramatic person to be crying over pain and suffering for a stupid prank. Next time he should put paper on the seat first.

8. Nov 12, 2005 #7
    what a coinkidink
    I will say this though. that superglue is sneaky stuff. it gets in places it has no right being.

9. Nov 12, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really? So this guy is faking it to sue? Afterall, if you get glued once to a toilet seat, I'd bet that any sane person would check every public seat for glue before using it from then on...or else would hover. I didn't know anyone actually sat on public toilet seats anyway. :yuck:

10. Nov 12, 2005 #9

JamesU

Gold Member

I think the guy should stop supergluing his @$$ and trying to get money off of lawsuits

11. Nov 12, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Especially when your girlfriend superglues your genitalia to your abdomen and leg! That's another story out that someone is suing over...she claims it was consensual, he claims he slept through it and she did it to get even for breaking up or something like that...now, I'm a sound sleeper, but I find it very hard to believe that something like that wouldn't wake someone up if it wasn't consensual, as strange as it sounds.

12. Nov 12, 2005 #11
    Did he not see the glue or not look? Was this somekind of really fast acting super glue? Would not the glue have dried up?

13. Nov 12, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was going to say, been there done that, but this is different.

14. Nov 12, 2005 #13
    it doesn't dry right up, until you sit on it then instant

15. Nov 12, 2005 #14
    lol, need some pepto?

16. Nov 12, 2005 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like you're speaking from experience. :biggrin:

17. Nov 12, 2005 #16

JamesU

Gold Member

Look at his first post ;)

18. Nov 12, 2005 #17
    I've told the story before I"m sure. I didn't get glued to the toilet, but I did go to the bathroom and ended up with my hand glued to my best friend

19. Nov 12, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's what had me really suspicous when I first heard this. Superglue dries really quickly, so unless the prankster had just left, it should have been dried up before he sat on it. The only other types of glue I can think of that would cure that quickly but not be dry that quickly require two parts, so he'd have had to paint the other part onto his butt before sitting down. Anything else ought to have been fairly slow drying, so not stuck before he could stand back up (unless he is nasty enough to have sat down on a seat that was "damp" and didn't immediately get up and clean off...in which case, just how long was he occupying the restroom anyway?) It all sounds very fishy. I hope they took lots of pictures of his butt to show to the jurors and televise if he's going to sue...it would serve him right!

20. Nov 12, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I guess that just leaves one thing to do, and who could blame you for it when stuck in that predicament? :biggrin: :rofl:

21. Nov 12, 2005 #20
    how about, and I'm just guessing here, a person could place a tube of superglue under the toilet lid and put a pin prick in the tube. when someone sits down it squirts and you get stuck

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?