Man Glued to Toilet

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
tribdog said:
you don't understand how fast this stuff sets. we are talking less than .5 seconds. if you have it on your thumb you can't touch your thumb and finger together faster than it sets. it's instant
Yup, I've done several projects in the past few weeks for school involving crazy glue and super glue.......

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
tribdog said:
you don't understand how fast this stuff sets. we are talking less than .5 seconds. if you have it on your thumb you can't touch your thumb and finger together faster than it sets. it's instant
It's not that fast. I've used superglue, and it gets tacky quickly, but I've never been unable to pull my fingers back apart if I get a drop on them (or remove my fingers from whatever I've been gluing together...I just keep switching fingers to hold whatever I'm holding and it doesn't stick).

then you are using too much superglue. the less the better, and are you using dollar store superglue? that stuff sucks.
you should never see a tacky superglue. it is liquid then set

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
tribdog said:
then you are using too much superglue.
I could say the same for you if you had enough on whatever you were gluing to get it on your hands and then glue your hands to your favorite body part. :biggrin:

I know what you are thinking, but it doesn't take much glue. I'm rather small. hard to believe, but I've had parrots laugh at me and point.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
tribdog said:
how about, and I'm just guessing here, a person could place a tube of superglue under the toilet lid and put a pin prick in the tube. when someone sits down it squirts and you get stuck
It would squirt under the lid, not on top where the person is contacting the seat - so no bonding.

Edit: Anyway, if the seat was up, then one could see the tube of glue, no? If the seat is down, it does not go down futher, unless its one of springy types, but my first point applies. And it enough time elapses, the hole will dry up - that's why one has to put the cap back on the tube.

Trib - don't spend too much time thinking about this. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Besides, quick setting contact cement would probably would work.

okay:
the seat is down.
the tube goes where the seat makes contact
the hole MAY close, but the 120-250 lb ass will force the glue through the hole
if at any time any glue, skin and seat are in the same place you are glued.

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Darn that http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05309/601174.stm [Broken], anyway. The gun sights he designed were a complete flop - the cyanoacrylate would just stick to everything, making it terribly difficult to cast. All he's done is cause a whole lot of trouble. People should stick to duct tape the way nature intended.

I think having been glued to a toilet before made it easier for Dougherty to deal with it this time (he's only suing because it took so long for someone to respond to his calls for help - not for being superglued to the toilet). In fact, Dougherty was pretty composed by time paramedics arrived. He calmly asked the paramedic, "Have you ever seen anything like this before?" to which the paramedic replied, "Yes, but it's the first time I've ever seen one framed."

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe we need some quick drying 5 minute epoxy.....

tribdog said:
okay:
the seat is down.
the tube goes where the seat makes contact
the hole MAY close, but the 120-250 lb ass will force the glue through the hole
if at any time any glue, skin and seat are in the same place you are glued.

Maybe I should move out of Arizona.....

BobG said:
In fact, Dougherty was pretty composed by time paramedics arrived. He calmly asked the paramedic, "Have you ever seen anything like this before?" to which the paramedic replied, "Yes, but it's the first time I've ever seen one framed."
framed? huh?

Okay. I'm done testing.
after 12 minutes still sticking
after 15 minutes still stuck, maybe not as much, hard to tell
after 16 minutes still stuck definitely weaker
after 17 minutes not stuck, unless you consider post it notes sticky
19 minutes not stuck at all

I herd that he might be making it up.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
tribdog said:
Okay. I'm done testing.
after 12 minutes still sticking
after 15 minutes still stuck, maybe not as much, hard to tell
after 16 minutes still stuck definitely weaker
after 17 minutes not stuck, unless you consider post it notes sticky
19 minutes not stuck at all
So is that 5 fingers you now have stuck to something? Leave one free to type the story after you dial 911.

Moonbear said:
So is that 5 fingers you now have stuck to something? Leave one free to type the story after you dial 911.
fingers!!!
damn, wish I'd thought of that

Tomorrow I am going to test this out on my toilet and see how long it actually takes. I just need to make sure I have a phone with me.

hey if you need some corroborating evidence let me know, maybe I'll try the experiment as well.
geez read the posts

tribdog said:
hey if you need some corroborating evidence let me know, maybe I'll try the experiment as well.
geez read the posts
Woops, I read fingers, and thought you were not actually trying it, lol :redface:

matthyaouw

Gold Member
tribdog said:
I'll vouch for that. I spent an hour or two with half a model tank kit and a small file stuck to my hand. I honestly can't remember how I got myself into or out of that predicament. I'mm pretty sure I've glued my hand to a table too.

If he wins I whouldn't be surprised to see the Toiltes at home dept have warning labes that say:
Warning:Home Depot is not respossible for being stuck to this toilseat or any other injuries.Please urinate at your own risk:rofl:

Last edited:
that's funny

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses