Man in Elevator: What is the Force Exerted on the Elevator Floor?

• Thread starter Cole07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elevator
In summary, the force exerted by a 65-kg man on the floor of an elevator depends on the conditions of the elevator's motion. When the elevator is stationary, the man exerts a force of 637.65N. When the elevator accelerates upward at 2.3 m/s2, the man exerts a force of 787.15N. When the elevator accelerates downward at 1.7 m/s2, the man exerts a force of 527.15N. When the elevator is moving at a constant velocity, the man exerts no force on the floor. This is in accordance with Newton's first law, which states that an object at rest or moving at a constant velocity will
Cole07
Force Of Man On Elevator

Homework Statement

An 65- kg man stands in an elevator. What force does he exert on the floor of the elevator under the following conditions? The elevator is stationary.
Answer:637.65N

The elevator accelerates upward at 2.3 m/s2.
Answer:787.15N

The elevator rises with constant velocity of 3.1 m/s.

While going up, the elevator accelerates downward at 1.7 m/s2.
Answer:527.15N

The elevator goes down with constant velocity of 6.3 m/s.

Homework Equations

EF=0

The Attempt at a Solution

so far i have the ones where i allready have the acceleration but i don'tknow how to do the ones with velocity because i don't have a t(time) i thought maybe i could do the same and multiply 3.1m/s*65kg which is 201.5 and then use the formula EF=0 so EF=0=-201.5-637.65 which equals 839.15 but this was wrong, could you just give me an idea on how to get started and help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do I not have enough work swown?

Cole07 said:
Do I not have enough work swown?
you need only to look at Newton's first law to arrive at a solution. What is the acceleration of the elevator and person when they are moving at constant speed?

how do i get to the acceleration when i don't have anything but weight and velocity?

i have figured it out thank you for your help.

What is the "Man In Elevator Problem"?

The "Man In Elevator Problem" is a classic problem in physics and mathematics that involves a man standing in an elevator and the changes in his weight as the elevator accelerates and decelerates.

What factors affect the weight of the man in the elevator?

The weight of the man in the elevator is affected by the acceleration of the elevator, the gravitational force of the Earth, and the mass of the man.

What is the solution to the "Man In Elevator Problem"?

The solution to the "Man In Elevator Problem" is that the man's weight will be the same as his normal weight when the elevator is at a constant speed or at rest. When the elevator is accelerating upwards, his weight will be greater than his normal weight, and when the elevator is accelerating downwards, his weight will be less than his normal weight.

Why is the "Man In Elevator Problem" important?

The "Man In Elevator Problem" is important because it helps us understand the relationship between weight, mass, and acceleration. It also has practical applications in engineering and construction, as it is important to consider the weight and forces acting on structures, such as elevators, when designing and building them.

Can the "Man In Elevator Problem" be applied to other situations?

Yes, the principles of the "Man In Elevator Problem" can be applied to other situations involving objects moving in an accelerating frame of reference, such as cars on a rollercoaster or planes taking off and landing. It can also be used to explain the effects of gravity on objects in space.