Growing Up: Becoming a Man and Taking Responsibility

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
In summary, the determining factor for differentiating between a boy and a man is simply the opinion of the observer, as boy and man are just labels. However, there are certain behaviors and physical appearances that may lead to someone being viewed as a man rather than a boy. Taking responsibility for one's actions is a key characteristic of a man, and the ability to learn from mistakes and act responsibly is what sets a man apart from a boy. Ultimately, the definition of a man is subjective and can vary based on individual opinions.
Andy
What do you think it takes to change from being a Boy to a Man? I myself think that it is the ability to take responsibility for your actions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physically it is just puberty. Any other distinction is either dictated by authority or by peoples opinion. I am sure even 2 year olds take responsibility for their actions to some extent, because they have to realize that they will get told off if they do some thing.

Boy and man are just labels that people use. Therefore, the determining factor which distinguishes the differeneces a boy and man is simply the opinion of the observer. It's true though that there are certain behavior patterns one can adopt in order to be viewed as a man rather than a boy. It is also true that physical appearance plays a certain role in the helping people to decide whether someone is a boy or a man.

eNtRopY

A better thread would be "The Difference Between Guys and Men" because everyone knows guys have more fun

Originally posted by Shadow
A better thread would be "The Difference Between Guys and Men" because everyone knows guys have more fun

True- and that's why men end up making excellent money and having a nice house and toys, while "guys" work at the 7-11 and live in the trailer park :wink: But hey, they sure have fun doing it:wink:

Originally posted by Zantra
True- and that's why men end up making excellent money and having a nice house and toys, while "guys" work at the 7-11 and live in the trailer park :wink: But hey, they sure have fun doing it:wink:

Its all about the money then?
What is more important in life - having fun, or being the richest corpse in the graveyard?

Originally posted by Andy
What do you think it takes to change from being a Boy to a Man? I myself think that it is the ability to take responsibility for your actions.

Possibly the other way round, "Acting" in a responcible manner?

Yea that sounds about rite, a Man could make a mistake and take responcibility for it, whereas a boy would make a mistake and not take responcibilty for it.

Yea that sounds about rite, a Man could make a mistake and take responcibility for it, whereas a boy would make a mistake and not take responcibilty for it.

Didn't quite mean it in that manner, meant it as a man thinks about what he is either about to do, or is presently doing, and CHOOSES, intentionally and beforehand, to act responcibly in the execution of the task.

A child/boy thinks not of whether, or not, he will be holding himself accountable for his own actions, he simply tries, and then either, tries to "cover his mistakes", after the fact, or takes "credit" for knowing what to do, when, in fact, it is simply novice training that worked.

Ok but a man can still make mistakes, as long as he takes responcibility for those mistakes he is a man, that's what i think anyway.

Ok but a man can still make mistakes, as long as he takes responcibility for those mistakes he is a man, that's what i think anyway.

And if he learns from those/his mistakes, then he goes forward with a mind, and an eye, to ensuring that he repeats those errors, as little as is humanly, (I am but a mere man) possible.

1. What are some common signs of becoming a man?

There are several physical and emotional changes that can signify a boy's transition into manhood. These may include a deeper voice, facial and body hair growth, increased muscle mass, and a stronger sex drive. Emotionally, a boy may also experience a stronger sense of independence and responsibility, as well as increased self-awareness and a desire to establish his own identity.

2. What role does society play in defining manhood?

Society often has a strong influence on our understanding and expectations of what it means to be a man. From a young age, boys are bombarded with messages from media, peers, and family about the characteristics and behaviors that are considered masculine. This can lead to societal pressure to conform to certain ideals of manhood, which may not align with individual beliefs or values.

3. How can a boy prepare for the responsibilities of manhood?

Some ways a boy can prepare for the responsibilities of manhood include developing good communication skills, learning to manage his finances, and setting and achieving personal goals. It's also important for a boy to develop a strong sense of empathy and emotional intelligence, as well as a strong moral compass.

4. What are some challenges that come with taking responsibility as a man?

Taking responsibility as a man can come with a variety of challenges. This may include societal pressure to fit into traditional gender roles, navigating relationships and family dynamics, and facing societal expectations of success and achievement. It can also involve overcoming personal struggles and learning to manage emotions and make difficult decisions.

5. Are there any universal qualities that define manhood?

Manhood is a complex concept and can mean different things to different people. While there may not be a definitive set of qualities that universally define manhood, some characteristics that are often associated with it include maturity, self-sufficiency, integrity, and resilience. However, it's important to recognize that these qualities can be present in individuals of any gender.