Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Man sentenced to 9 years for spamming!

1. Apr 8, 2005 #1

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7432555/

Maybe spamming will stop? One can only hope!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There was a local neutraceutical manufacturer around here that was recently raided by postal inspectors. It seems that while they haven't gotten them on spamming, they got them on mail fraud when they shipped products that didn't meet their claims. :rofl:

[​IMG]

4. Apr 8, 2005 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

I can see it now. The DoJ/FBI must be monitoring our thread killer thread to spot potential spammers :devil:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  5. Apr 8, 2005 #4

SOS2008

Gold Member

"...prosecutors said Jaynes’ operation grossed up to $750,000 per month." Nnnnnnope--that's even better then selling drugs!

Ah-hah! I hadn't thought about importing smilies... :biggrin:

6. Apr 8, 2005 #5
    Glad they got him! Makes me wonder what the IRS will find...and you know they will look.

7. Apr 8, 2005 #6
    Broken penis ring

http://penis.blogcarnival.com/archives/2005/03/no_more_penis_e.html

. . . . . .

8. Apr 8, 2005 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Who buys this stuff?

I would never buy, much less consume, anything from someone soliciting me over the internet. :bugeye:

9. Apr 8, 2005 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Good riddance to bad rubbish. They should make him read every single e-mail he sent out.

10. Apr 8, 2005 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The repsonse rate to spam is about 0.1% -- one in a thousand spam messages actually lead to a sale. It doesn't sound like a lot, but when you consider that some spammers can send billions of messages a day, it's more than enough.

- Warren

11. Apr 8, 2005 #10

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Sort of like my success rate when I was trying to get a woman to date me. You have to play the numbers...

12. Apr 8, 2005 #11

Danger

Gold Member

This month's Scientific American has a brief article on that by people who are working on it. I only skimmed it because I'm not really interested, but their conclusion is that you can't stop spammers if they're determined. They're taking the approach of making it not worth their trouble to succeed.

13. Apr 8, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

14. Apr 8, 2005 #13

SOS2008

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?