What note and frequency was used to shatter the glass on Mythbusters?

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary, the episode of Mythbusters featured a man successfully shattering a crystal glass with his unamplified voice. They believe this is the first time it has been filmed and confirms longstanding rumors. The frequency of the note was determined by using a frequency analyzer and peaks in the audio spectrum. The commercial with the opera singer breaking a glass was done with amplification, whereas the Mythbusters experiment was done with no amplification. It was also noted that shattering a glass with the voice can be done easily with amplification, but this experiment proves it can be done without. The best way to cool beer quickly is with ice, water, and salt. There have been rumors of Eastern Monks throwing needles through inch thick glass, but
zoobyshoe
I just saw an episode of Mythbusters where a guy succeeded in shattering a crystal glass with his unamplified voice.

This guy tried on about twenty different glasses held directly in front of his mouth. Finally one shattered.
They had him clocked at 550hz at 105 decibels when it finally worked.

They believe this is the first time this has ever been filmed, and is confirmation of the longstanding rumors.

Physics news on Phys.org
old episode

zoobyshoe said:
I just saw an episode of Mythbusters where a guy succeeded in shattering a crystal glass with his unamplified voice.

How did they pick the frequency [note].

the fundamental of the glass

They 'rang' the glass and used a frequency analyzer to plot the audio spectrum. Peaks in the audio spectrum give the resonant frequencies.

zoobyshoe said:
I just saw an episode of MythbustersThey believe this is the first time this has ever been filmed, and is confirmation of the longstanding rumors.

How about the Memorex audiotape commercials from the 70's and early 80's. There was a rather large female opera singer next to a piano. They had her live and recorded voice break the glass. was this a sham?

Do you guys like that show? Today I watched a 30 minute segment on cooling beer the fastest. Interesting stuff.

Just so you know, the best way is with ice, water, and salt :)

pete worthington said:
How about the Memorex audiotape commercials from the 70's and early 80's. There was a rather large female opera singer next to a piano. They had her live and recorded voice break the glass. was this a sham?

The singer in the comercial had her voice run through an amplifier. The trick here was it was done with no amplification at all, just the singer's raw voice.

That was Ella Fitzgerald
http://www.ellafitzgerald.com/about/viewheadline.php?id=3038

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
How did they pick the frequency [note].
He "rang" the glass, and got as close as he could by ear. He also had a straw standing inside each glass, and the closer he got to the resonant frequency, the more the straw was vibrated around in the glass.

Getting the note wasn't nearly as hard as getting the amplitude. As Janus mentioned, shattering a glass can be done pretty easily with an amplified voice. The noteworthy thing here is that this proves someone could have done it before amplifier systems were invented, i.e.: an opera singer in the 1800s. All the first versions I ever heard of this story attributed this ability to one opera singer or another, (or to any opera singer who was good enough).

I read that in spite of his standing claim, after his death Caruso's wife admitted that he had never done this.

Ivan Seeking said:
I read that in spite of his standing claim, after his death Caruso's wife admitted that he had never done this.
All I can say is that they have proven it is not a physical impossibility.

Of note is the fact the guy had to hold the glass an inch from his mouth. Whoever originally discovered this ability probably did so by accident, singing impromptu while drinking wine.

One of the mythbuster guys tried it himself and mentioned how dangerous it seemed to be trying to shatter a glass an inch from his face. It could be a lot of people don't have he guts to really give it their all, and end up pulling their punches.

Jameson said:
Do you guys like that show? Today I watched a 30 minute segment on cooling beer the fastest. Interesting stuff.

Known well to all home made ice cream connoisseurs.

Jameson said:

yea mythbusters is the best show on tv :biggrin:

Right now, I can do something far more impressive : I can shatter my tonsils with my voice. I have mono. :(

Curious3141 said:
Right now, I can do something far more impressive : I can shatter my tonsils with my voice. I have mono. :(
Have you experienced any micropsia with that?

zoobyshoe said:
Have you experienced any micropsia with that?

No. No perceptual deficits (nothing remotely "Alice in Wonderland" or Lilliputian).

tangent

Has anyone ever heard rumors of Eastern Monks throwing needles through inch thick glass?

I always wondered if that was true, seemed impossible...

how is that tangent to the conversation?

For anyone who may want to know, the note they sing is F{above middle C}.

well its more of a hijack but I am not sure the question needs its own thread...it does involve glass though

Rayne said:
Has anyone ever heard rumors of Eastern Monks throwing needles through inch thick glass?
I don't think it's off topic.

However, I haven't ever heard of it. I have heard of them doing all kinds of other equally amazing things: levitating objects by sound, sitting on lake ice with a wet blanket wrapped around them till their body heat dries the blanket out, that kind of thing. I have no idea if these stories are true.

hypatia said:
For anyone who may want to know, the note they sing is F{above middle C}.

Interesting. Do you know how many octaves above middle C this note is located? And also, which key is it in? B flat? A? F?

edit: Nevermind, judging from the first post, the note was at 550 hz. That would place it as... C sharp (554.36 Hz) if it were tuned to A (440 hz). Hmm.. was that note F? F tunes at 698.45 Hz.

Last edited:

1. What is "Man Shatters Glass With Voice"?

"Man Shatters Glass With Voice" is a phenomenon that occurs when a person uses their vocal cords to produce a high-pitched sound that causes a glass object to break or shatter.

2. How is it possible for a person to shatter glass with their voice?

This phenomenon is possible because of a concept called resonance. When a person sings or speaks at a specific frequency, it causes the glass to vibrate at the same frequency, eventually reaching its breaking point and shattering.

3. Can anyone learn to shatter glass with their voice?

While it is possible for anyone to shatter glass with their voice, it requires a lot of practice and control over the vocal cords. Most people cannot naturally produce the high-frequency sound needed to shatter glass.

4. Is shattering glass with your voice dangerous?

Shattering glass with your voice is not inherently dangerous, but it can be if proper precautions are not taken. The glass shards can cause injury if they are not contained or cleaned up properly.

5. Are there any other ways to shatter glass besides using your voice?

Yes, there are other methods to shatter glass, such as using a specific type of sound amplification or using a special tool called a glass cutter. However, shattering glass with your voice is one of the most intriguing and unique methods.