1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Man swinging accross a canyon

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    Hi guys, I am new here so be gentle please.

I have been set the following question for a problem modelling course.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A man needs to traverse a canyon of width 50m, he has a grapple hook that is attached to a conveniently placed rock that is 30m long. Can he make it accross? He also has a bag full of camping equipment, should he attempt to take this with him?

2. My question

I was wondering if anyone could inform me the general areas of physics/mechanics that will be useful in attempting to solve this problem.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2
    anyone?

4. Apr 17, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi godofrock! Welcome to PF! :smile:

7 days is a long time … don't wait more than 1 day in future, if nobody answers! :smile:

Is that the full question?

How secure is the rock? Which end is the rope attached to? How long is the rope?

If the rock is secure, and the rope is long enough, I don't see what the problem is (btw, I suspect that's why nobody answered first time round). :confused:

5. Apr 17, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The most likely reason nobody answered you for such a long time is that the question seems incomplete as tiny-tim has mentioned. Plus you have asked for assistance without any attempt at the problem your self. See this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?