Man tries to rob woman in wheel chair

• Thread starter scott1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheel
In summary: It's terrible and sad how people take advantage of helpless handicap people:biggrin:Good for her!WTG Ms, Johnson!It's a good thing that she was going to the range to practice if she only managed to get him in the elbow from that distance. :rolleyes:It's a good thing that she was going to the range to practice if she only managed to get him in the elbow from that distance. :rolleyes:
Math Is Hard said:
Only if you've got faster reflexes and the attacker can't get the gun away from you.

Well, then that's no reason to shoot. If you do not know yet. Simply ask the "criminal" to step away, if he doesn't within like 2 seconds, you can shoot because NOW you're at risk.

From all your comments, everything you said is all in your head and can't be justified. That's just as bad as commiting an unjustified crime.

Not the victim's problem.

It never was. I'm just saying that people have lives. Criminals are people too, so don't go around shooting people because of simple fear that's in your own head. That's just as irresponsible as whatever the criminal is doing. Minor theft charges. That's hardcore. I'm glad I'm in Canada where we give people a chance.

Go USA. :rolleyes:

Let me guess. He's an "evil-doer".

They change really fast when you put a bullet in them.

The criminal had the ability to disable her. No doubt about that, so that's already proof that he didn't intend to injure or harm, so where is the FEAR coming from? It's in YOUR head.

Not many criminals anyway.

If you call a criminal someone committing minor theft charges, you have a lot to learn. People make mistakes. IT'S FREAKING MINOR THEFT CHARGES! Get over yourself.

Fair enough. We'll require all victims of violent crimes to inquire of the predator if they are only seeking to take our valuables or if they intend to do us bodily harm. Somewhat problematic if someone is pulling a necklace off your neck and you're choking at the time but perhaps sign language could be adopted.

I didn't see any choking. And that's what I meant from what I said earlier. He was totally capable of disabling her, but chose not to. That's evidence that he didn't intend to harm. Think.

Not if I am on the jury.

You wouldn't be on the jury. They have rational people on the board only.

I realize my views on this are extreme but I find it very upsetting when people prey on the "defenseless", no matter what their reasons. And I agree with Monique that it was probably too risky a move if there were any innocent bystanders in sight.

Well, that's something you need to work on yourself. Maybe you feel like a defenseless person for some reason. Because if you do, then you should work on that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If she'd have missed, it would've been pretty easy to grab the gun off an old lady in a wheelchair, I suspect.

Then we have a mugger with a gun.

Stupid gun culture.

talk about guilty till proven innocent:

Woman in Wheelchair Shoots Alleged Mugger

J77 said:
If she'd have missed, it would've been pretty easy to grab the gun off an old lady in a wheelchair, I suspect.

Stupid gun culture.

Don't blame me. Blame those who want guns. (US)

JasonRox said:
Don't blame me. Blame those who want guns. (US)
I agree with your arguments.

The guy snatched her chain and was trying to make a getaway with it. The woman had a gun and shot him.

Why didn't she get charged then? 'Cause there's no way the DA can find a jury that'll convict a handicapped person who had been robbed by someone with very likely, a shady history. It's too easy for her to say she felt threatened and was acting in self defence. It's really hard to prove that to be a lie (not saying it is one; just that it costs time and money and takes a good bit of luck), and it looks really "bad" to attack the credibility of a disabled person. Not going to win that case in this country!

Last edited:

Oh my god, he might take her necklace for sure now! :rofl:

Gokul43201 said:
The guy snatched her chain and was trying to make a getaway with it. The woman had a gun and shot him.

The link you gave before doesn't seem to work now, but here it is from http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache...ot&hl=en&gl=ca&ct=clnk&cd=2&client=firefox-a"

...He grabbed the retired bus driver around the neck, causing her MTA medallion to pop from her necklace and fall to the ground, she said.

She pulled out her gun and shot him in the elbow, sending him running like a wounded duck...

Makes it sound a little more frightening for her than shooting someone who was trying to run away with her necklace.

Who knows how threatened she felt? Who knows if all she had to worry about was just a necklace being stolen? I think it's completely ridiculous to try to condemn her for shooting someone who was "just trying to rob her" when we have pretty much no idea at all what happened apart from some scant news reports, but that might just be me. (I'm not at all pro gun in any way, and am grateful to live in a place that I've never felt the need to carry any kind of weapon)

Last edited by a moderator:
shmoe said:
Makes it sound a little more frightening for her than shooting someone who was trying to run away with her necklace.
Sure it does. But then, even if you did shoot someone because you didn't want him running away with your MTA medallion, what would you say to the press?

Who knows how threatened she felt? Who knows if all she had to worry about was just a necklace being stolen? I think it's completely ridiculous to try to condemn her for shooting someone who was "just trying to rob her" when we have pretty much no idea at all what happened apart from some scant news reports, but that might just be me.
I wasn't condemning her. I was being close to neutral...with a wee dash of skepticism!

Gokul43201 said:

Why didn't she get charged then? 'Cause there's no way the DA can find a jury that'll convict a handicapped person who had been robbed by someone with very likely, a shady history. It's too easy for her to say she felt threatened and was acting in self defence. It's really hard to prove that to be a lie (not saying it is one; just that it costs time and money and takes a good bit of luck), and it looks really "bad" to attack the credibility of a disabled person. Not going to win that case in this country!

I'm disabled and I have no problems people questioning me or attacking my credibility.

JasonRox said:
If you call a criminal someone committing minor theft charges, you have a lot to learn. People make mistakes. IT'S FREAKING MINOR THEFT CHARGES! Get over yourself.
Of course they are a criminal, they're stealing. It was also assault. This was no "mistake". This person made a deliberate decision to commit a crime. There is no excuse for a crime like this. Attacking this woman just shows what kind of slime ball this guy is.

Back