Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Man vs Wild

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I caught a really interesting program on TV - Man vs Wild.
    http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/manvswild/manvswild.html

The host, Bear Gylls, was dropped on top of a remote range in the Copper Canyon area of Chihuahua, Mexico - at 9400 ft (2865 m). The day time temperature was ~70+°F, but at night the temperature would drop to 15°F, so that anyone without protection would risk hypothermia.

For each 1000 ft (305 m), the night time temperature would increase a few degrees, so the objective would be to get down to the valley as quickly as possible - but the mountain sides are steep and somewhat unstable. Also, one has to be careful where one puts one's hands in order to avoid scorpions or tarantulas, and perhaps rattlesnakes. Gylls ate a scorpion that picked off the ground to indicate that they are a good source of protein.

Gylls got to about 7000 ft just before the sun went down and the temperature started to drop. He stopped and made a fire, which he demonstrated.

He used a yucca plant which was dry, and has the lowest flashpoint of any wood. He made a fire sword, which makes fire by friction. To make the fire initiator, he cut two pieces of wood and placed them in parallel with two stones separating them, and bound them with green stalks. He filled the gap with dry grass, but tinder would be suitable. He placed the sticks between some rocks, and then proceeded to rub a 'fire sword' perpendicularly across the two sticks and above the dry grass (tinder). After a few minutes a hot piece of wood lit the grass. He placed that on another bundle of grass and added some sticks.

Very practical - http://dsc.discovery.com/survival/how-to-survive/how-to-survive-tips.html [Broken]

Making fire - http://dsc.discovery.com/survival/how-to-survive/how-to-survive-tips-tab-07.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2009 #2
    Have you seen Man Vs. FOOD?

4. Feb 22, 2009 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Feb 22, 2009 #4

Astronuc

I can attest to people (tourists) who put themselves at risk in remote places. Dehydration, sunburn, and sunstroke/heat stroke are common problems.

I encountered a girl whose legs were purple from sunburn. She was hiking in the Grand Canyon in shorts and no sunscreen. I'm sure she did severe damage to her skin.

6. Feb 22, 2009 #5
    Wow, sounds like a good show. I will definitely check it out.

7. Feb 22, 2009 #6
    His name is Grylls, not Gylls
    I'm guessing you're not based in the UK
    Over here, he has something of a reputation for 'stretching it a bit' examples include use of smoke generators to make skipping across volcanic bowls look alot more dangerous than they really are. He is also staying in comfy hotels when he conveys to his audience the impression that he's roughing it.
    Entertaining if you're into that sort of thing but his deeds of derring-do need to be taken with a pinch of salt

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Feb 22, 2009 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I like Survivorman much, much better than Man vs. Wild. Man vs. Wild has some incredibly bad stuff at times. Example: A third hand appearing from offscreen to hand Bear Grylls a torch as he descends into an abandoned mine. Where did that third hand come from? (Answer: A crew member; Bear Grylls has a whole crew traveling with him doing the photography and handing him torches, etc, when needed.) What in the world is he doing descending into an abandoned mine? (Answer: There is no answer. Avoiding unnecessary risks is the number one rule in the wilderness.)

Les Stroud (Survivorman) is truly on his own. His crew drops him off with just his cameras, maybe a knife, maybe a piece of survival gear. He has one week to get out of the predicament. He carries his own cameras and does his own filmwork. That sometimes means he has to set up a camera to show him hiking out of some tough location, then hiking back to pick up the camera he left behind, and then hiking back out with the camera in tow. If you like Man vs Wild, try to catch Survivorman. It is much, much better than Man vs Wild (but at times the camera work is a bit jerkier).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  9. Feb 22, 2009 #8
    Survivorman. Great show. I'm proud to be Canadian :biggrin:

10. Feb 22, 2009 #9
  11. Feb 22, 2009 #10

Obviously he has a cameraman, otherwise where is the video from??? I think the cameraman is way more of a badass, I mean try traveling over the country they go through with a 10 pound camera.

It's also evident in that when Bear cooks food he normally only eats half of it.

I do prefer Les Stroud, but will watch either show, they sure beat reality TV.

12. Feb 22, 2009 #11
    Some of them film themselves.

13. Feb 22, 2009 #12
    I agree bear Grylls isn't as bad *** as the survivorman guy in their shows but the intent of man vs wild is to show you how to survive. He obviously has help (they even set up artificial situations such as falling through ice or jumping in a bog), but its not totally about him simply surviving.

Personally I prefer man vs wild simply because of the shots they get. I enjoy seeing the broad landscapes of nature around the world shot from helicopters and such.

14. Feb 22, 2009 #13
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  15. Feb 22, 2009 #14

russ_watters

Mmmmmmmmmm.....left-over scorpion.

16. Feb 22, 2009 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heh, didn't know this. Nevertheless, I've learned some cool tricks from just the 3 or 4 episodes I've watched.

17. Feb 22, 2009 #16
    Yes, but it's evident to anyone with half a brain that Bear isn't filming himself when the camera is panning and moving and he's remaining in frame...

18. Feb 22, 2009 #17
    Monkey film crews.

19. Feb 22, 2009 #18

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

20. Feb 22, 2009 #19
    Mhmm...

21. Feb 22, 2009 #20
    At the beginning of every episode it says that there is a flim crew and such

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook