Solving Mandl & Shaw 2.5: Show U = e^(-i/h)δαPα

• Thread starter jdstokes
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the unitary transformation of a scalar field corresponding to spacetime translation and how to show that it is equivalent to e^{-(\mathrm{i}/\hbar) \delta_\alpha P^\alpha }. The participants suggest using the identity [P^\alpha, U] = -\mathrm{i}\hbar\frac{\partial U}{\partial x_\alpha} and the power series expansion of U to work out the transformation. However, there are concerns about higher order terms and the complications that may arise with finite displacements.
jdstokes
[SOLVED] Mandl and Shaw 2.5

The question is to show that the unitary transformation corresponding to spacetime translation [itex]\delta_\alpha[/itex] of a scalar field is [itex]U = e^{-(\mathrm{i}/\hbar) \delta_\alpha P^\alpha }[/itex] where [itex]P^\alpha[/itex] is the energy-momentum 4-vector of the field.

[itex]\varphi (x) \mapsto \varphi'(x') = \varphi(x_\alpha - \delta_\alpha) = U\varphi(x)U^\dag[/itex].

Essentially this boils down to showing that

[itex]\varphi(x_\alpha-\delta_\alpha) = U \varphi(x_\alpha)U^\dag[/itex].

I'm sure I need to use the identity

[itex][P^\alpha, U] = -\mathrm{i}\hbar\frac{\partial U}{\partial x_\alpha}[/itex],

but I'm not sure how to contort it into a form that will give me what I want.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the idea is to use

[tex]U \psi \left(x\right) = \left[ U , \psi \left(x\right) \right] + \psi \left(x\right) U[/tex]

to write

[tex]U \psi \left(x\right) U^{\dagger} = \left[ U , \psi \left(x\right) \right] U^\dagger + \psi \left(x\right).[/tex]

Then use

[tex] \left[P^a , \psi \left(x\right) \right] =-i \hbar \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x^a} \left(x\right)[/tex]

and the power series expansion of [itex]U[/itex] to work out

[tex]\left[ U , \psi \left(x\right) \right].[/tex]

Last edited:
Interesting idea but I'm not sure if it can be made to work,

[itex][P^\alpha,\varphi] = -\mathrm{i}\hbar\partial^\alpha \varphi \implies [P^\alpha P^\beta,\varphi] = -\mathrm{i}\hbar(P^\alpha \partial^\beta\varphi + \partial^\alpha \varphi P^\beta)[/itex].

Higher terms in the expansion of [itex]e^{-\mathrm{i}\hbar \delta_\alpha P^\alpha}[/itex] contain bigger and bigger versions of this.

Scrap that last post, the point is when the displacement is infinitesimal, higher order terms don't contribute. Finite displacements can be obtained by infinitely compounding the infinitesimal operator.

jdstokes said:
Scrap that last post, the point is when the displacement is infinitesimal, higher order terms don't contribute. Finite displacements can be obtained by infinitely compounding the infinitesimal operator.

I think that by playing with commutators, the full Taylor series expansion of [itex]\varphi(x_\alpha-\delta_\alpha)[/itex], can be obtained, not just the first two terms of the Taylor series expansion.

In the middle, things probably get somewhat messy, though.

What is the significance of the equation U = e^(-i/h)δαPα in solving Mandl & Shaw 2.5?

The equation U = e^(-i/h)δαPα is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the transformation of a state vector under a unitary transformation. In the context of solving Mandl & Shaw 2.5, it is used to determine the transformation of a state vector from one basis to another.

What is the physical interpretation of the variables in the equation U = e^(-i/h)δαPα?

The variable U represents the unitary transformation operator, which describes the change in the state vector. The variable e^(-i/h) represents the phase factor, which accounts for the interference effects in quantum mechanics. The variable δα represents the infinitesimal change in the state vector, and Pα represents the projection operator onto the new basis.

How is the equation U = e^(-i/h)δαPα derived?

The equation U = e^(-i/h)δαPα is derived from the general expression for a unitary transformation U = e^(iφ)R, where φ is a phase factor and R is a rotation operator. By expanding the rotation operator into its components and using the infinitesimal change in the state vector, the equation can be simplified to U = e^(-i/h)δαPα.

What is the role of the phase factor in the equation U = e^(-i/h)δαPα?

The phase factor e^(-i/h) is a crucial component of the equation U = e^(-i/h)δαPα as it accounts for the interference effects in quantum mechanics. This phase factor ensures that the transformation is unitary, meaning that the probability of finding the particle in any state remains constant.

How is the equation U = e^(-i/h)δαPα used in solving Mandl & Shaw 2.5?

The equation U = e^(-i/h)δαPα is used to determine the transformation of a state vector from one basis to another. In the context of solving Mandl & Shaw 2.5, it is used to calculate the transition amplitude between two states in a quantum system. This allows for the prediction of the probability of a particle transitioning from one state to another.