Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Manfred the Newfoundland puppy

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    My new puppy Manfred is just so cute and perfect and beautiful I just had to share him. He is 8 weeks, 16 pounds already, and sleeps 99% of the time. He has already figured out that hes suppose to do the peeing and pooping outside. He loves everyone and cant seem to figure out how to bark although its not for lack of trying. I will try to attach some piuctures.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2
    and some more pictures

Attached Files:

4. Oct 26, 2008 #3
    just 1 more

Attached Files:

5. Oct 26, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aww how lovely. Hes huge though :eek:

6. Oct 26, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OMG!! He's so adorable!!! And HUGE! :bugeye:

7. Oct 26, 2008 #6
    Oh, what a great puppy! Hes so cute. I always wished they could stay small for just a little bit longer. I just love that new puppy smell.

8. Oct 26, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think this one ever WAS small to stay small. :biggrin: I just love how goofy and wiggly puppies are.

9. Oct 26, 2008 #8
    haha this is going to be one big boy!

10. Oct 26, 2008 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He's beautiful, fileen! Congrats!

Look at the size of those paws...

There's a woman in my neighborhood who has about 5 Newfies. She's not more than 5' tall, and she'll take them for a walk, all at the same time! Good thing they're well-behaved dogs.

11. Oct 26, 2008 #10

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love Newfees........of course I gravitate towards all big dogs (no pun intended....)

12. Oct 26, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Real cool pup, just the thing to keep you busy going walkies.

13. Oct 26, 2008 #12
    It's awesome!!

It looks more like a dog rather than puppy...

14. Oct 26, 2008 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's one beautiful dog!

15. Oct 26, 2008 #14
  16. Oct 26, 2008 #15

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just looked up the size Newfoundland's grow to and its pretty much the same as a Dobe. He does look a lot bigger than Freija was but it could just be fluff.

17. Oct 26, 2008 #16
    The vet said he should finish between 120 and 150 pounds. Hes the biggest of his litter, and the nicest for conformation. His mom and dad both stand above my waist at the shoulder. They are massive dogs. I admit I expected him to be smaller though. I did a double take when I went to pick him up, hes mostly fluff but hes still very large for a puppy. Apparently he will double in size ever 2 weeks or so. I wanted a large dog because my Dalmation can be a bit of a bully with other dogs, and I figured shes not about to pick on a dog that is 4 times her size and weight. I researched breeds and breeders for months, and I picked the Newf for personality reasons. They are very easy to train, almost never aggressive, not hyper, not chewers, dont generally go chasing a scent and are great with kids. His hips and ears and eyes are all guaranteed, and the breeder gave up 6 months of insurance in case of any sort of medical problem. Hes so handsome she asked us to keep him intact for a couple years so she can get a littler by him. :approve: We might just so we can get another puppy. I had to put my MCAT prep course off for a year in order to pay for him... they are rather pricy, but worth every penny. He just loves every one. He trots from person to person just wanting to be picked up and cuddled. Ive never had such a cuddly puppy before. Hes simply perfect

18. Oct 26, 2008 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Keep in mind that any behavioral problems associated with keeping him intact (i.e., marking his territory by lifting his leg places you don't want it lifted) will develop early. Waiting a couple of years to have him neutered might leave you stuck with some undesirable behaviors. You might want to discuss this plan with your vet, and find out if s/he has any breed specific advice about this.

19. Oct 26, 2008 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Nope! Newfies can be massive. Not as big as St. Bernards, but still very large, with very solid bone structure and musculature. I grew up with childhood friends who had a Newfie, and he would gladly tow us around on "flying saucer" aluminum sleds, and give the little kids rides (cheaper than a pony), and when we collapsed in the living room after a day of fun, Cap'n would let all of us lean on him as we lay on the living room floor. He didn't live as long as my family's dog because he was crippled by hip displasia (sp?) and they put him down because he was suffering so. He was a VERY loving and sweet dog.

20. Oct 26, 2008 #19

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Odd. The webby I was on said 28 inches (average) at the shoulder for boys. Same as Dobes :smile:

21. Oct 26, 2008 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Yeah, but your Dobe is a basketball player. Newfies are defensive linemen (American football). The difference is in sheer mass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?