How Do Manganese Redox Reactions Work with Nitric Acid and Potassium Iodate?

If not, you will have to use the given conditions to figure out what happens. In summary, for the redox reactions between manganese and nitric acid, as well as manganese ions and potassium iodate, the complete formulae are provided. The oxidation and reduction reactions are balanced, and the overall reactions are shown. For the second reaction, the oxidation number of iodine is dependent on the conditions and may be reduced to IO3-.
Mattara
Hello,

I've been working on some redox reactions for the oxidation of manganese.

Question:

Write the complete formulae for the redox reactions below:

i.) Manganese reacts with nitric acid (V) to form Mn2+ ions.
ii.) The Mn2+ ions reacts with potassium iodate, KIO4 to form MnO4- (VII)

My Solution:

i.)

Oxidation: 3Mn (s) --> 3Mn2+ (aq) + 6e- (aq)
Reduction: 6HN03 (aq) + 6e- (aq) --> 6N03- (aq) + 6H+ (aq)
Overall reaction: 3Mn + 6HN03 -> 6NO3- + 3Mn2+ + 6H+

Is this correct? If so, does the single protons regenerate the acid and/or become attached to substances like water?

ii.)

Oxidation: Mn2+ + X -> MnO4- + ?H+
Reduction: IO4- + ?H+ -> I? + 4H2O
Overall reaction: Mn2+ + IO4- -> MnO4- + I2-

I'm having trouble with this part of the question. I does not have -II as one of its common oxidation number.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Best Regards,
Mattara

Physics news on Phys.org
Mattara said:
Hello,

I've been working on some redox reactions for the oxidation of manganese.

Question:

Write the complete formulae for the redox reactions below:

i.) Manganese reacts with nitric acid (V) to form Mn2+ ions.
ii.) The Mn2+ ions reacts with potassium iodate, KIO4 to form MnO4- (VII)

My Solution:

i.)

Oxidation: 3Mn (s) --> 3Mn2+ (aq) + 6e- (aq)
Reduction: 6HN03 (aq) + 6e- (aq) --> 6N03- (aq) + 6H+ (aq)
Overall reaction: 3Mn + 6HN03 -> 6NO3- + 3Mn2+ + 6H+

Is this correct? If so, does the single protons regenerate the acid and/or become attached to substances like water?
Take a step back and ask yourself,

metal + acid --> salt + (?)

You do not get protons. Look at the reduction reaction you've written. The charge is not balanced. Fix that one mistake using above hint and you're good.

ii.)

Oxidation: Mn2+ + X -> MnO4- + ?H+
On the RHS, you have Mn, H and O. On the left, you have Mn. Ergo, X is simple H2O.

Reduction: IO4- + ?H+ -> I? + 4H2O
Overall reaction: Mn2+ + IO4- -> MnO4- + I2-

I'm having trouble with this part of the question. I does not have -II as one of its common oxidation number.
This is a little tricky. The reaction actually depends on the conditions. Mostly, you just have to know what happens to IO4- under different conditions. Typically, it will first get reduced to IO3-. Unless someone else suggests otherwise, you could go with that.

Last edited:

Hello Mattara,

Your solution for the first reaction is correct. The protons do not regenerate the acid but rather become attached to water molecules to form hydronium ions (H3O+). The overall reaction is a redox reaction where manganese is oxidized and nitric acid is reduced.

For the second reaction, you are correct that manganese does not commonly have an oxidation number of -II. However, in this reaction, it is being oxidized from +II to +VII. The oxidation state of iodine changes from +V to -I. The overall reaction is also a redox reaction where manganese is being oxidized and iodine is being reduced.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work in your research on manganese redox reactions.

Best,

1. What are manganese redox reactions?

Manganese redox reactions are chemical reactions that involve the transfer of electrons between manganese ions with different oxidation states. This can result in the formation of different manganese compounds.

2. How does manganese participate in redox reactions?

Manganese can exist in different oxidation states, ranging from +2 to +7. In redox reactions, manganese ions with higher oxidation states are reduced to lower states by gaining electrons, while ions with lower oxidation states are oxidized to higher states by losing electrons.

3. What are the applications of manganese redox reactions?

Manganese redox reactions have various industrial and environmental applications. They are used in the production of batteries, steel, and fertilizers. They are also important in the removal of contaminants from water and soil.

4. How do environmental factors affect manganese redox reactions?

The rate and direction of manganese redox reactions can be influenced by various environmental factors, such as pH, temperature, and the presence of other chemicals. Changes in these factors can affect the stability and reactivity of manganese compounds.

5. What are the potential risks associated with manganese redox reactions?

Manganese redox reactions can produce harmful byproducts, such as toxic substances and reactive oxygen species, which can have negative impacts on human health and the environment. Therefore, proper management and monitoring of these reactions are necessary to minimize potential risks.