1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Manipulating equation

1. Feb 1, 2008 #1
    Hi, I need help manipulating the equation

x(t)=e^(-t/tau) sin(omega*t)

into a straight line graph (y=mx+c) of position (x) against time (t)

Thanks in advance!

edit: this might have been better off in the homework/coursework section, sorry
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2008 #2

Gold Member

Do you mean x = m.t + c ?
    Are you allowed to make co-ordinate transformations ? The equation describes a damped oscillator so there doesn't seem to be any other way.
  4. Feb 1, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the reply!
    Probably, I just know I need a straight line out of it.. I think its a little beyond my knowledge, given my college teacher has no idea either. Once I have the equation I'll be set.
  5. Feb 1, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The question is "make a straight line out of what"? The graph of the function you give, [tex]x(t)=e^{-t/\tau} sin(\omega t)[/tex], in the "tx-plane" is certainly not a straight line and there is no y. The graph of that would be a "wave" getting smaller and smaller as t increases. Sometimes you can make a function into a linear graph by plotting the logarithms of the values rather than the values themselves, but that won't work with that "sin" there.

Perhaps you mean that, given this x value, as a function of t, find the corresponding y value on the line y= mx+ b. That's easy- just substitute that function for x:
    [itex]y= me^{-t/\tau} sin(\omega t)+ b[/itex]. The values given by those functions will give the position, at time t, of an object moving along the line y= mx+ b.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?