1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Manipulating fractions

1. Mar 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is something I need to show in order to solve the question I've been asked. I need to show that
    ##\sqrt{\frac{N_A}{N_D} } + \sqrt{\frac{N_D}{N_A} } = \frac{N_A + N_B}{\sqrt{N_A N_B}}##
    I know these two sides are equal because wolfram alpha says they are, and also because it works if I sub that into my proof. But I'm doing something really really really stupid I think, because I can't get there.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought it might be easiest to square this and simplify, then square root. So
    ##(\sqrt{\frac{N_A}{N_D} } + \sqrt{\frac{N_D}{N_A} })^2 = \frac{N_A}{N_D} + 2\sqrt{\frac{N_A N_B}{N_A N_B}} + \frac{N_D}{N_A}##
    I suspect that's the step that's wrong but I don't know why. Carrying on anyway:
    ##= \frac{N_A}{N_D} + \frac{N_D}{N_A} + 2##
    Finding a common denominator:

##= \frac{N_A N_D + N_D N_A + 2N_A N_D}{N_A N_D}##
    Then finally square rooting again:
    ##=2##
    So that's very different to what I'm after and there is some really awful algebra mistake in there. Unfortunately I can't find it, any help would be very much appreciated! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2017 #2
    Oh yes, that is me being pretty stupid. Could just multiply first term by ##\frac{N_A}{N_A}## and the second term by ##\frac{N_D}{N_D}##, then:
    ##\sqrt{\frac{N_A^2}{N_A N_D}} + \sqrt{\frac{N_D^2}{N_A N_D} }= \frac{N_A}{\sqrt{N_A N_D}} + \frac{N_D}{\sqrt{N_A N_D}}##

4. Mar 9, 2017 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

leads to ##N_A^2 + 2N_A N_D + N_D^2 \over N_A N_D## :rolleyes:

5. Mar 9, 2017 #4
    Ah, that too! :smile: Oops! Thank you, I was never going to get that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted