1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Manipulating Pv=nRT equation

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A balloon initially contains 20 grams of helium at a pressure of 1000 torr. After some helium is let out of the balloon the new pressure is 900 torr, and the volume is half of what it was. If the temperature has not changed, how much helium is now in the balloon?

2. Relevant equations
    PV=nRT

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first converted the grams to moles and the pressure to atm. I attempted this problem by setting the first and after values to each other. I used PV/n = PV/n (before and after). When I set these equal to each other I get approx. 4.6 mol He or approx. 9 grams He. Is this a legal way to approach this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Conditionally. The notation is not what it could be. Subscripts, insertion of masses in the appropriate places would improve things.
    It's not obvious that you've done anything without some remarks about initial and final "states" and values.
    Don't overuse the word "approximate" or its derivatives or abbreviations when you've got an exact answer based on the problem statement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted