Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Manometer homework problem

1. Mar 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the diameter of a manometer is increased, what effect will it have on height difference and individual heights of a liquid?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please attempt this yourself.

I will just say this. What is the definiton of pressure?

4. Mar 26, 2007 #3
    I have attempted it myself. It was in a quiz in school! I want to know if my answer is right.

I stated that there was no change in the individual heights or the difference in heights since pressure= density*gravity*height and since pressure, density and gravity were constant, so was height. But I don't know whether saying that the individual water levels would not change was right.

Correct?

5. Mar 26, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

During the derivation of the equation the cross -sectional areas cancel out and so yes, you are correct.

When I say attempt it yourself, I mean show your working on the forums. How do we know what you've done at school?

6. Mar 26, 2007 #5
    I'm awfully sorry about that. Can I just check one thing: so you're saying that despite there being a certain amount of water, when the pressure diameter is increased, the water levels don't fluctuate at all?

I know their difference will remain at X. But will their individual water levels change.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook