1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Manometer homework problem

1. Mar 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the diameter of a manometer is increased, what effect will it have on height difference and individual heights of a liquid?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please attempt this yourself.

I will just say this. What is the definiton of pressure?
  4. Mar 26, 2007 #3
    I have attempted it myself. It was in a quiz in school! I want to know if my answer is right.

I stated that there was no change in the individual heights or the difference in heights since pressure= density*gravity*height and since pressure, density and gravity were constant, so was height. But I don't know whether saying that the individual water levels would not change was right.

5. Mar 26, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

During the derivation of the equation the cross -sectional areas cancel out and so yes, you are correct.

When I say attempt it yourself, I mean show your working on the forums. How do we know what you've done at school?
  6. Mar 26, 2007 #5
    I'm awfully sorry about that. Can I just check one thing: so you're saying that despite there being a certain amount of water, when the pressure diameter is increased, the water levels don't fluctuate at all?

I know their difference will remain at X. But will their individual water levels change.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?