Manometer homework problem

In summary, the conversation is about the effect of increasing the diameter of a manometer on the height difference and individual heights of a liquid. The person asking the question has attempted to solve it themselves and is asking for confirmation if their answer is correct. The expert confirms that their answer is correct and explains why. The person then clarifies their understanding of the concept and the expert confirms that the individual water levels will not change despite the increase in diameter.
greenfloss

Homework Statement

If the diameter of a manometer is increased, what effect will it have on height difference and individual heights of a liquid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please attempt this yourself.

I will just say this. What is the definiton of pressure?

I have attempted it myself. It was in a quiz in school! I want to know if my answer is right.

I stated that there was no change in the individual heights or the difference in heights since pressure= density*gravity*height and since pressure, density and gravity were constant, so was height. But I don't know whether saying that the individual water levels would not change was right.

Correct?

During the derivation of the equation the cross -sectional areas cancel out and so yes, you are correct.

When I say attempt it yourself, I mean show your working on the forums. How do we know what you've done at school?

I'm awfully sorry about that. Can I just check one thing: so you're saying that despite there being a certain amount of water, when the pressure diameter is increased, the water levels don't fluctuate at all?

I know their difference will remain at X. But will their individual water levels change.

1. What is a manometer?

A manometer is a scientific instrument used to measure pressure, typically in a closed system. It consists of a U-shaped tube filled with a liquid, with one end connected to the system being measured and the other end open to the atmosphere. The difference in height of the liquid in the two arms of the tube indicates the pressure of the system.

2. How do I solve a manometer homework problem?

To solve a manometer problem, you will first need to understand the principles of fluid mechanics and how a manometer works. Then, you will need to carefully examine the given problem and identify the variables and equations that are relevant. Finally, you can use these equations to solve for the unknown value.

3. What are the common units of measurement used in manometer problems?

The most common units used in manometer problems are inches of mercury (inHg) and millimeters of mercury (mmHg). However, other units such as pascals (Pa) and pounds per square inch (psi) may also be used.

4. Can a manometer be used to measure pressure in gases and liquids?

Yes, a manometer can be used to measure pressure in both gases and liquids. However, the type of liquid used in the manometer may vary depending on the properties of the substance being measured.

5. What are some common sources of error when using a manometer?

Some common sources of error when using a manometer include air bubbles in the liquid, inaccuracies in reading the liquid level, and variations in atmospheric pressure. It is important to carefully set up and calibrate the manometer to minimize these errors and ensure accurate measurements.