1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Manometer problems.

1. Jan 28, 2008 #1
    Hi all, I really need some help with the following question,

I have to find the pressure at point B, within the manometer.
    height A=0.71m
    height B=200mm
    p(roh)=882 kg/m^3
    p(roh)m=13784 kg/m^3 (is this the density of the gas?)
    Pressure at point A=156850Pa

I have tried using the following equation: P1-P2=pg(h2-h1), is this correct?

The answer im getting is 18196.73 Pa, but im not including p(roh)m in the equation.

I hope what im trying to ask makes sense.

If anybody can help, and maybe push me in the direction of a few websites, it would be mostly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not unless you think a cubic meter of the gas weighs about 14 metric tons! Sounds more like mercury ('m' = mercury?) to me....
    I'm having trouble with the 'roh' part of p(roh).
  4. Jul 22, 2011 #3
    what kind of manometer is that?is it a differential type? you mean the specific density p(roh)m? what element is p1 and p2? are they both h20?
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  5. Jul 22, 2011 #4
    I'm guessing that, in the original problem, it's just a rho, and adam112 used a p because it looks like a rho, then put rho in parens to clarify (achieving, unfortunately, the opposite).

adam112: Do you have a picture?

13784 kg/m^3 is definitely the density of mercury, as chemisttree suggests. I'm not sure what the 882 kg/m^3. It would be about right for, say, ethanol, and is way too high for a gas. (And usually in a problem of this type the density of any gases would be negligible.) But without more info, I don't know why there would be two liquids involved.
  6. Jul 25, 2011 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just FYI, this thread is 3 years old.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?