Closed Manometer Question | Get the Answer

• Thread starter chemistry1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manometer
In summary, the conversation discusses a basic question about a closed manometer and the concept of negative pressure. The speaker understands the basic idea behind manometers but is confused about why we say the gas has negative pressure and how we determine it. The responder explains that the term "negative pressure" is only applicable in open-tube manometers and provides a link for further information on the subject.
chemistry1
Hi, Just have a basic question on a closed manometer :

http://postimg.org/image/6tq089eoz/

So I do understand the basic idea behind manometers. I see that in this case the pressure of gas is lower than that of the liquid, which is why the liquid is higher on the left side. Now, what I don't understand is why do we say that the gas as a negative pressure ? Wouldn't that mean there's no gas at all ? Also, how do we know that it's negative ? Usually, I only take the difference between the highest point and the lowest ...
Can somebody help ? Thank yoU!

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's an open-tube manometer, and the gas pressure is less than atmospheric, you could say the gas has negative pressure [relative to atmospheric pressure].

I can't see the term "negative pressure" being directly applicable to the closed-tube manometer, where the pressure is measured relative to a vacuum*.

There is plenty of interesting material on the web, e.g., http://www.kentchemistry.com/links/GasLaws/manBar.htm

What is a closed manometer?

A closed manometer is a device used to measure pressure in a closed system. It consists of a U-shaped tube filled with a liquid, with one end connected to the closed system and the other end open to the atmosphere. The difference in height of the liquid in the two arms of the tube indicates the pressure inside the closed system.

How does a closed manometer work?

A closed manometer works based on the principle of hydrostatics, which states that the pressure at any point in a liquid is equal in all directions. When the liquid in the manometer is at equilibrium, the pressure on both sides of the U-shaped tube will be equal, and the difference in liquid height will indicate the pressure inside the closed system.

What are the units of measurement for a closed manometer?

The units of measurement for a closed manometer depend on the type of liquid used. The most commonly used unit is millimeters of mercury (mmHg) for liquids like mercury and water. Other units include inches of water, pounds per square inch (psi), and kilopascals (kPa).

What are some applications of closed manometers?

Closed manometers are commonly used in various industries and scientific experiments to measure the pressure inside closed systems such as pipes, containers, and tanks. They are also used in medical devices to measure blood pressure and in weather instruments to measure atmospheric pressure.

What are the advantages of using a closed manometer?

A closed manometer is a simple, accurate, and low-cost device for measuring pressure in a closed system. It is also highly versatile and can be used to measure a wide range of pressures. Additionally, it does not require any external power source or calibration, making it a convenient option for pressure measurement.