1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Manometer U Tube

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

ZJYtq.png

The U-tube in the figure is sealed at both ends. It contains a gas in A, another gas in B, and mercury in C. The heights of the mercury in the two arms are as shown. The density of mercury is 13.6 g/cm3. If the pressure in A is 1 × 10^4 dyn/cm2, the pressure in B is

The attempt at a solution

4-7 = 3CM

0.03m * 9.81 * 13600 kg/m^3 which = 4000 Pa which converts to 4x10^4 dyn/cm^2

But the answer given was 5x10^4 dyn/cm^2

I am not sure what I am doing wrong?

Edit: 4x10E4 is the pressure difference. So I have to add A which is 1x10E4 and that gives B = 5x10E4.

Could someone explain why I add A?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2
    One way to think about this problem is to calculate the pressure at the bottom of the U-tube. Look at the left U-tube column the pressure at the bottom is Pb+ hb*density*g that will equal the right U-tube Pa+ha*density*g

It is easy to see why you must add Pa if you are measuring the pressures at the bottom of the U-tube

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook