Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mans cott

1. Jul 20, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I have two duvet/pillow cover sets both the same, brown out side cream inside, i managed to rip one of the covers trying to stuff the duvet into it,
    mom told me she would get me a replacement set, and now i have it, but
    it,its p p pink:surprised, i just can not put it on, i read that people dye things in a washing machine?? i do not have one so could i do it in the sink?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It would have to be a really big sink, do you have a bathtub?

4. Jul 20, 2006 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey I still have a beloved henry's cat duvet :biggrin:

I'd just leave them pink doesn't really matter what colour your bed spread is right?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  5. Jul 20, 2006 #4
    You don't have a washing Machine? I thought that was a thing of the past

6. Jul 20, 2006 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Yes i have a bath tub, but i spend ages cleaning the bathroom and i would not want dye stains every where.

It is not worth me buying a wash machine, i only have a few socks and a pair of jeans to wash each week, oh and a couple of t shirts.

7. Jul 20, 2006 #6

wolram

Gold Member

You are jesting, "right", me with any thing pink :surprised i would be just so :blushing: if any one saw.

8. Jul 20, 2006 #7

Danger

Gold Member

By the time she sees it, it's too late for her.

9. Jul 20, 2006 #8
    What about a cheap plastic kids swimming pool or a large plastic storage bin? That might be hard transport from the store to home on your motorcycle though......

10. Jul 20, 2006 #9

wolram

Gold Member

I could get a storage drum from work, but i have just had a brain wave, i could bleach it white in the bath.:approve:

11. Jul 20, 2006 #10

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Tell mom you need the receipt, go exchange it for a color you like.

12. Jul 20, 2006 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Im to chicken.

13. Jul 20, 2006 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Around here, you can buy dye for fabric right in the grocery store. A duvet cover isn't too big, so it would probably fit in a sink. You'd just have to get a stick or something to stir it around so it dyes more uniformly than if it sat bunched up (unless you like the look of tie dye). I'm not sure how colorfast those dyes are though (i.e., do they run and dye everything in the laundry if you later wash the fabric). I think you need to let it sit quite a while for the dye to take well, so you might be better just putting it in a tub or bucket in the yard rather than making a mess of a sink or tub and then not being able to use it until the thing was done soaking. Just read the instructions on the dye package.

Of course, you could swear the pink duvet cover was the result of manly laundry washing (i.e., you didn't know any better than to wash it with the brand new red socks, and it was really white before it turned pink). :wink:

14. Jul 20, 2006 #13

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rofl: Never tell a woman you don't like it. :rofl:
    Tell her a seams defective and your afraid it will rip out if you try to use it.
    Compliment her on all the work she did to get it.
    Insist that shes done so much already that you couldn't dream of having her do it. :wink:

15. Jul 20, 2006 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You forgot the last important bit...when he comes back with a different color, he MUST insist to her that he really enjoyed the lovely color she had chosen, but when he was at the store, they were all out of stock of that one color (must be a very popular color...obviously she has good taste), so he decided to just replace it with a different color of the same thing.

16. Jul 20, 2006 #15

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was going to put that in, but I didn't want to give away all my secrets :devil:

17. Jul 20, 2006 #16

Danger

Gold Member

So, Moonbear... about that tie you sent me last Christmas... :uhh:

18. Jul 20, 2006 #17

wolram

Gold Member

Well for sure a hard stare from my 83 year old mom can still liquify a grown man, and the (brush off), no,no if you do not like what moms bought you, i did go into town just to buy that, but it is up to you if
    you do not like it, sniff..................

19. Jul 20, 2006 #18
    You should also consult a color chart, pinks are not easy to dye over. Unless you want purple, then try to dye it blue. If it were me, I would use a medium brown.
    Make sure to mix the dye in very hot water, wear gloves, and stir often.

20. Jul 20, 2006 #19

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rofl: Never tell a woman you don't like it. :rofl:
    Just what part of this are we missing here :confused:

21. Jul 20, 2006 #20

wolram

Gold Member

Well that turns out just fine, brown will fit the bill just right :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?