How Much Nitrogen is Required to Produce 5kg of Nitric Acid?

• Thread starter k3l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, The conversation discusses the production of HNO3 through a series of reactions and the question of finding the weight and volume of nitrogen needed. The formula for the overall reaction is given, but it is noted that this is not the industrial or laboratory method for producing HNO3. The weight of nitrogen can be calculated by finding the number of moles in 5 kg of HNO3 and halving it, while the volume can be calculated using the ideal gas law. It is also mentioned that the only source of nitrogen in HNO3 is atmospheric nitrogen.
k3l
from a series of reactions
i got the formula which produces [tex]HNO_3[/tex]... the "result" formula is:
[tex]4N_2_(_g_) + 6H_2_(_g_) + 8O_2_(_g_) -> 4HNO_3_(_a_q_) + 4H_2O_(_l_)[/tex]

The question asks to find the weight of nitrogen,
and the Volume of nitrogen (at STP) required to produce 5.00 kg pure nitric acid.

what i want to know is what does it mean by the weight of nitrogen?

thx

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
k3l said:

Literally - weight of the nitrogen used. I suppose if it was a solid you will have no problems? So do it exactly the same way as if [tex]N_2[/tex] was solid.

And don't forget that 1 mole of gas at STP has volume 22.4 l.Borek

Last edited by a moderator:
"Weight+chemistry=mass".Don't take it literally or as something axiomatic...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
"Weight+chemistry=mass". Don't take it literally or as something axiomatic...

Now that you pointed at, it is obvious :blushing:

The funny thing is I will never mix these things in Polish :smile: Borek

Last edited by a moderator:
In physics "weight" has other sense.Chemists are making their own rules.

Daniel.

k3l said:

and the Volume of nitrogen (at STP) required to produce 5.00 kg pure nitric acid.

thx
That "formula" may describe the overall ratio of the elements involved, but it's NOT how HNO3 is made. Industrially, it's made by the catalytic oxidation of N2 to nitrogen oxides, which are dissolved in H2O to produce a mixture of HNO3/HNO2. The HNO2 is then oxidized to HNO3 with O2 from air. In the lab, HNO3 is made by heating a nitrate with H2SO4 and distilling off the vapor. But, you DON'T NEED the reaction formula to answer that question! You just need to calculate the number of moles of N in 5 kg of HNO3. Half that number will be the moles of N2 needed, and the volume is found by V = n*R*T/P

isnt the volume occupied by 1 mole of gas: 24dm3 at 298K, and 22.4 at 293K?

k3l said:

thx

Listen to pack_rat2. You don't need the overall reaction because the only source of nitrogen in nitric acid is atmospheric nitrogen, or N2. 1 mole of nitric acid is made by half a mole of nitrogen.

Weight of nitrogen = 0.556 kg
Volume of nitrogen = 889 litres

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of manufacturing nitric acid?

Nitric acid is used in a variety of industries, including agriculture, pharmaceuticals, and explosives. It is primarily used as a chemical intermediate in the production of fertilizers, plastics, and dyes.

2. How is nitric acid typically manufactured?

Nitric acid is most commonly produced through the Ostwald process, which involves the oxidation of ammonia with air in the presence of a platinum catalyst. This produces nitric oxide, which is then further oxidized to form nitrogen dioxide. The nitrogen dioxide is then reacted with water to form nitric acid.

3. What are the main raw materials needed for the manufacture of nitric acid?

The main raw materials for the manufacture of nitric acid are ammonia, air, and water. These materials are readily available and relatively inexpensive, making the production of nitric acid relatively cost-effective.

4. Are there any environmental concerns associated with the manufacture of nitric acid?

The production of nitric acid can result in the emission of nitrogen oxides, which are considered air pollutants and can contribute to smog and acid rain. However, many manufacturers have implemented measures to reduce these emissions and minimize their environmental impact.

5. What are the main uses of nitric acid?

In addition to its use in the production of fertilizers and other chemicals, nitric acid is also used in the production of explosives, such as dynamite and TNT. It is also used in the production of cleaning agents, metal etching, and as a reagent in laboratory experiments.

Back