1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Many body system

1. Jul 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See the attachment, I am stuck as to how the summation sign [itex]\sum_{b\neq a}^{}[/itex] in (2.1.1) ends up as [itex]\sum_{ab}^{}[/itex] in the term with the red dot above (2.1.5).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

As I understand you end up taking the product of two summations such that [itex]\sum_{a}^{}(\sum_{b\neq a}^{})=\sum_{ab}^{}[/itex], but I don't really understand the logic here.

just trying to understand, thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is a subindex ##a## missing from what should be ##\dot{\bf r}_a## from equation 2.1.4 and subsequently in ##\ddot{\bf r}_a## in 2.1.5. The rest is just inserting 2.1.1.

4. Jul 28, 2014 #3
    yeh I got that but once you insert 2.1.1 i don't get how the summation in front of the red dot term is [itex]\sum_{ab}^{}[/itex] once you sub 2.1.1 you get [itex]\sum_{a}^{}(\sum_{b\neq a}^{})[/itex], I don't really understand how that works

5. Jul 28, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are making a sum of sums. It may help to write the sums out for a small number of particles, let us say 3:
    $$
    \sum_{a} \sum_{b\neq a} F_{ab} = (F_{12} + F_ {13}) + [F_{21} + F_{23}] + \{F_{31} + F_{21}\}
    $$
    where the term in () is the term originating from the sum over ##b \neq 1## for ##a = 1##, [] for ##a = 2##, and {} for ##a = 3##. Now ##\sum_{ab}## is a bit of a bastard notation. If assuming that we by this mean ##\sum_{a=1}^3 \sum_{b=1}^3##, then we get some additional terms ##F_{11} + F_{22} + F_{33}##, but the particles do not exert forces onto themselves so these can be taken to be zero.

6. Jul 28, 2014 #5
    Yeh I sort of came to a similar conclusion myself, the issue was that I didn't get why you can use the notation [itex]\sum_{ab}^{}[/itex] if you neglect particle self interactions, the notation in that case is not strictly true then? Wouldn't it be better to keep it in the form [itex]\sum_{a}^{}(\sum_{b\neq a}^{})[/itex], anyway thanks for the clarifications!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted