Many Classical Mechanics Books?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of selecting and using physics books for self-study or formal classes. The speakers mention considering reviews and price, as well as asking for recommendations, in order to find books that explain concepts well and are at an appropriate level of difficulty. They also mention borrowing books from libraries as an alternative to purchasing them.
Devil Moo
In the market, it has many many physics books teaching classical mechanics. Do you read one book only or a number of books? How do you make a choice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think self-students will check two or more whereas students taking a formal class will rely on one unless the topic isntt well explained.

When I took it, my prof used Marions book but some students in the class recommended Goldstein and so we used both when doing the problems.

I am self-study and I bought a book from Landau. Well, it is difficult to understand.

What level of physics and math (which textbooks?) have you studied already? Landau is usually considered to be graduate school level (masters / PhD).

I think it should be undergraduate level.

When I choose the books I am going to study from, I check out the books that have the best reviews in amazon and goodreads and I also check out their price.
When I narrow down my options, I then ask around(maybe reviews suffice and I sometimes don't need to ask around) to find out which books explain stuff intuitively and which books re more mathematical.
Then, I buy one that explains concepts well and one that is at a slightly higher mathematical level than the course that I will enroll in so I am always challenged.
This, I think, is a nice strategy for self-study too.

Also, sometimes I don't buy the books but I borrow then from my University library. For example, for my upcoming classical mechanics course I bought Morin's books and I will be borrowing Taylor's and Goldstein's books.

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects and the forces that govern that motion. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation formulated by Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. What are some common topics covered in classical mechanics books?

Classical mechanics books often cover topics such as kinematics, dynamics, energy, momentum, and rotational motion. They may also delve into more advanced topics such as oscillations, fluid mechanics, and special relativity.

3. Are there any recommended classical mechanics books for beginners?

Yes, there are several recommended classical mechanics books for beginners, such as "An Introduction to Mechanics" by Daniel Kleppner and Robert Kolenkow, "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, and "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein. These books provide a solid foundation in the basics of classical mechanics.

4. Are there any classical mechanics books that focus specifically on applications?

Yes, there are many classical mechanics books that focus on applications in various fields such as engineering, astronomy, and biology. Some examples include "Classical Mechanics: Applied Mechanics and Mechatronics" by Vladimir Stejskal and Michael Valasek, "Astrophysical Applications of Gravitational Lensing" by Joachim Wambsganss, and "Biomechanics: Concepts and Computation" by Cornelius Leondes.

5. What makes a good classical mechanics book?

A good classical mechanics book should provide a clear and thorough explanation of concepts and principles, use relevant and practical examples, and offer challenging problems and exercises for practice. It should also be well-organized, easy to understand, and up-to-date with current research and developments in the field.