1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Many-particle QM

1. Jun 28, 2015 #1

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi, I'm going to have a long graduate-level course on many-body quantum mechanics next fall and I'm already trying to prepare for it. I have the lecture notes that were used in the same course two years ago, but they are hand-written and a bit tedious to read. Can anyone suggest a good textbook on the subject? Material that will be covered includes Fock space, second quantization, many-particle Green functions and a little about the physics of superfluids. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2015 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The alltime classic for non-relativistic QFT (and that seems to be what you need) is

Fetter, Alexander L., Walecka, John Dirk: Quantum Theory of Many-Particle Systems, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1971

For a more modern treatment, including path integrals, see

Altland, A., Simons, B.: Condensed Matter Field Theory, 2 edition, Cambridge University Press, 2010

and, last but not least, also a bit of real-time formalism, for which I recommend

Danielewicz, P.: Quantum Theory of Nonequilibrium Processes I, Ann. Phys. 152, 239, 1984
    Danielewicz, P.: Quantum Theory of Nonequilibrium Processes II. Application to Nuclear Collisions, Ann. Phys. 152, 305–326, 1984
    Rammer, J.: Quantum Field Theory of Non-equilibrium States, Cambridge University Press, 2007

and of course

Keldysh, L.P.: Diagram Technique for Nonequilibrium Processes, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 47, 1515, 1964, [Sov. Phys JETP 20 1965 1018]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted