1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Many particle wavefunction

1. May 31, 2008 #1
    If in the case of two non-interacting particles, the wavefunction looks like (for bosons):

[tex]\psi(x_1, x_2) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[\phi_a(x_1)\phi_b(x_2) + \phi_a(x_2)\phi_b(x_1)[/tex]

And to normalise the wavefunction, the modulus squared has to be found. I can do this when I can substitute standard wavefunctions into the equations (either harmonic oscillator, or a square well for example), but I've been looking at exam papers and in questions with this kind of question, no wavefunctions are given and the answer (its normally a "show that..." question) is still given in terms of phi 1 and phi 2.

I'm unsure how the modulus squared bit works when I don't know for sure that the answer is complex. I also don't know how to integrate these without substituting values in for the wavefunctions. Any help going through this would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2008 #2
    It's been a long time since I've done any many-particle qm. But I can tell you that you definitely cannot integrate without knowing the wavefunctions. However, there may be some mention that the single-particle wavefunctions (i.e. the phi's) are themselves normalized. Then you know that e.g.
    [tex]\int |\phi_a|^2 dx = 1[/tex], so you likely don't have to do any integrals explicitly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?