1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Many Solenoid Questions

1. Feb 15, 2008 #1
    I know this isnt a homework related question but I felt these were simple enough questions where as I didnt need to flood the other forums.

My situation is as such...I need to create a solenoid that can push a metal slug hard enough to move a very small ball. I know that solenoids are essentially tightly turned coils with a flow going through the coil and depending on which way the current flows will control which direction the slug will move. I also know you can potentially melt the coils if they have to much power for too long. Besides this I know absouletly nothing else about solenoids despite having googled a ton, I simply need better explanations of the equations and what I need is something such as...

I know the diameter and weight of the ball as well as what velocity I need the ball to move at....what size must the slug and coil be to achieve this? Additionally I need will need to know what electrical current is required to achieve this result.

Example: (extreme situation)

Say I have a ball that weighs 0.003201(Kg) and has a diameter of 0.017323(m) and I need it to move 300 ft/sec. How would I go about achieveing the coil/slug length (assuming the slug is slightly bigger than the ball from a diameter stand point) and what kind of electrical current is needed to achieve this?

I hope this wasnt too confusing, I aint great with words, thanks a bunch

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?