Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Many universes like there are solar systems in a galaxy

1. Jul 13, 2003 #1
    If there were many universes like there are solar systems in a galaxy and like there are many galaxies in the universe, What would you call it?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2003 #2
    Universe 2 the return

4. Jul 13, 2003 #3

jeff

Science Advisor

Re: universes

A term already coined for this is "multi-verse".

5. Jul 14, 2003 #4
    Re: Re: universes

Actually, I think Multiverse is being used specifically as the term that describes the different Universes produced by Schrodinger's Cat effect.

As far as there being may Universes, much like there are many solar systems, galaxies, etc... I say it's not possible, since "Universe" means "everything" or "all that exists", and you can't have more than one of those.

6. Jul 15, 2003 #5
    Re: Re: Re: universes

Bonjour,

Mentat, I like your point that "Universe" means "everything" and I would like to base my suggestion on ethymology. "Universe", IMHO, originates from poetry "one verset". Posing that the vicinity, we know, is one of many, I would suggest "Environs" (plural form of vicinity). Score it please.

Oh! What is Schrodinger's Cat effect?

7. Jul 18, 2003 #6
    I'd say that if the same physics laws work there, it's still our universe. I'd define another universe as one where the same laws do not work.

And I'd call it the parauniverse... :):)

8. Jul 18, 2003 #7
    Interesting...

But what defines a universe? How can we define the universe limits?

9. Jul 18, 2003 #8
    a universe is, in essence, the largest system you can have that can still be closed. any event that happens in "another universe" can, by definition, have no obsevable effect in this one, otherwise what is to stop us from considering it a part of our universe?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?