1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Map energy eigenstates to cartesian unit vectors - Harmonic Osillator

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the matrix elements
    [tex]x_{nn'} = \left<n\left|x\right|n'\right>[/tex]
    and
    [tex]p_{nn'} = \left<n\left|p\right|n'\right>[/tex]
    and map the energy eigenstates
    [tex]\left|n\right>[/tex]
    to Cartesian unit vectors.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] x = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m \omega}}\left(a+a^{\dagger}\right) [/tex]
    [tex] p = -i \sqrt{\frac{\hbar m\omega}{2}}\left(a-a^{\dagger}\right) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have

[tex] x_{nn'} = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m \omega}}\left(\sqrt{n'}\left<n|n'-1\right>+\sqrt{n'+1}\left<n|n'+1\right>\right) [/tex]

and

[tex] p_{nn'} = -i \sqrt{\frac{\hbar m\omega}{2}}\left(\sqrt{n'}\left<n|n'-1\right>-\sqrt{n'+1}\left<n|n'+1\right>\right) [/tex]

But I'm confused with the second part of the question. For example, I believe that mapping a state vector into position space would mean to get the projection of the state vector in position space meaning that one has to take the inner product <x|ψ> = ψ(x). But I don't see how i can do this with Cartesian unit vectors.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?