Map of M87 Galaxy & Universe: Find & Explore Here!

In summary, does anyone know where I can find the map animation of the galaxy / nearby galaxy cluster that illustrate the geometry between Earth and M87 at the 29th minute in the Netflix show?
Flatwhite
Does anyone know where I can find the map animation of the galaxy / nearby galaxy cluster that illustrate the geometry between Earth and M87 at the 29th minute in the Netflix show ?

Alternatively if that's not a public source, can anyone recommend a publicly available "map of the universe", I'd love to be able to zoom out from earth to give my daughter a sense of scale of the universe.

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It was easy enough to find on Youtube:

An interactive map that goes from Earth-scale to galactic might be harder to find. Celestia (free planetarium software) lets you zoom out roughly to as far as Andromeda. But it's not as clear to see what's you're looking at as with such schematic animations like the one above.
link: https://celestia.space/

Other than that, you can use Hayden Planetarium's Digital Universe Atlas to visualise most of what's shown in the video below:

However, it's 1) terribly hard to use. I mean it; 2) can't go from Earth to intergalactic scale - you have to load separate modules, one for rendering the Milky Way and another for the large-scale universe. The video is like a pre-rendered presentation stitched together from both modules, with some bells and whistles added, that I think they play in the planetarium.
link: https://www.amnh.org/research/hayden-planetarium/digital-universe

Likes pinball1970
Flatwhite said:
the Netflix show ?
What Netflix show?

Likes Ibix
The one in the title. I agree capitalization or better punctuation would help, though.

• Informative
Likes russ_watters and Ibix
russ_watters said:
What Netflix show?
Bandersnatch said:
The one in the title. I agree capitalization or better punctuation would help, though.
I fixed the thread title up some just now. :smile:

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is the significance of the Map of M87 Galaxy & Universe?

The Map of M87 Galaxy & Universe is significant because it allows us to visualize and understand the structure and composition of one of the largest and most massive galaxies in the known universe. It also provides insight into the surrounding universe and the distribution of matter and energy on a large scale.

2. How was the Map of M87 Galaxy & Universe created?

The Map of M87 Galaxy & Universe was created using data collected by various telescopes and instruments, including the Hubble Space Telescope and the Chandra X-ray Observatory. This data was combined and analyzed using advanced imaging and mapping techniques to produce a detailed and accurate representation of the galaxy and its surroundings.

3. What can we learn from the Map of M87 Galaxy & Universe?

The Map of M87 Galaxy & Universe provides valuable information about the structure, composition, and evolution of the galaxy and its surrounding environment. It can also help us understand the formation and growth of supermassive black holes, as well as the distribution of dark matter and dark energy in the universe.

4. Is the Map of M87 Galaxy & Universe constantly changing?

Yes, the Map of M87 Galaxy & Universe is constantly evolving as new data and observations are collected. Scientists are continuously studying and analyzing the galaxy and its surroundings to improve our understanding of its structure and dynamics.

5. How does the Map of M87 Galaxy & Universe impact our understanding of the universe?

The Map of M87 Galaxy & Universe is a crucial tool for astronomers and scientists to study and explore the vastness of the universe. It provides valuable insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies and the distribution of matter and energy on a large scale, helping us to better understand the origins and nature of our universe.