Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maple 11

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    I got this program for school and I was wondering if anyone else here uses it. I have heard most people talking about Mathematica. Does anyone know how to compare one to the other? I have looked around in this program and it does EVERYTHING! If so, does anyone know the command for dy/dx?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2
    Do you go to UW by any chance?
  4. Sep 23, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Should be something like this:

y:= x^2
    [expected output is 2x]
  5. Sep 23, 2007 #4
    Ok thanks, I've been trying to plot a graph all day and I can't seem to figure this stuff out.
  6. Sep 23, 2007 #5

7. Sep 24, 2007 #6

will plot f(x) between -10 and 10 on the x-axis, and -10 and 10 on the y-axis.

there's other arguments you can insert in the code, but that is just a basic plot.
  8. Sep 24, 2007 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The help file is your friend!
  9. Sep 24, 2007 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, hit "F1" key!

Type the word: plot
    then highlight it or place the cursor near that word.
    Then hit F1.
  10. Sep 24, 2007 #9
    I have already checked the help thing before I even posted. I just don't understand somethings. How would you plot a graph of dy/dx = sin(x)*cos(y)?

plot(f(x),x) f(x)=sin(x)*cos(y),x=-10..10,y=-10..10)?
  11. Sep 24, 2007 #10
    if you define the function, you just have to put f(x) as the first argument.

f:=x-> x^2;

that would plot the parabola x^2 with a window of -10 and 10 on the x-axis and the same on the y.

the help file for these programs are confusing, imo
  12. Sep 24, 2007 #11

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

13. Sep 24, 2007 #12
    First of all, I don't want anyone to think I'm not trying here. I've been at this for on and off 3 days now and it's annoying. I tried some links but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I understand simple graph stuff but maybe I'm just not great with the terminology. Lets just say I want to plot the slope field of dy/dx=sin(x)*cos(y).

DEplot(diff*(x(y), y) = sin(x(y))*cos(y), t, x = -4 .. 4, y = -4 .. 4)

I just don't understand the whole x(y) or whatnot. Thanks for the help.
  14. Sep 28, 2007 #13
  15. Oct 3, 2007 #14
    Mathematica is better than Maple because it was designed to be an all purpose math software. It is capable of a greater range of computations because it has more functions than Maple. You can find a comparison between them here.

One feature of Maple which I find quite useful is its command line version. It can be used for quick calculations and sketching of plots, while having more capabilities than conventional calculators. It also takes up very little RAM, making it suitable on slow computers.
  16. Oct 3, 2007 #15

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That chart is useful... but readers should be aware that some empty boxes are not an indication the feature is missing... but that it hasn't been written up for some reason. In addition, it would be more useful if version numbers have been included.

For example,
    the features in
    can be done in Maple.

incorrectly says that "does not support reading image files".
    Maple 10 can read JPEG, TIFF, and BMP (but not GIF or PNG).
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?