Why Is Maple 15 Giving Me an Error When Creating a Contour Plot?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple
In summary, encountering errors and glitches is a natural part of the scientific process and can lead to new discoveries. It's important to double check code and seek assistance when needed in order to continue making progress in our understanding of the world.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

You know, you think by the fifteen verison, they could do something right.

I am trying to make a contour plot of [tex]z = f(x,y) = x^3 - 2xy[/tex]

So I typed the following

Code:
f := (x,y) -> x^3 - 2xy

with(plots):

contourplot(f(x, y), x = -20 .. 20, y = -20 .. 20, contours = [-2, -1, 0, 1, 2])

It gave me an error saying

Error, (in plot/iplot2d/levelcurve) could not evaluate expression

Physics news on Phys.org
, got -8000/0

it's understandable to feel frustrated when technology doesn't work as expected. However, it's important to remember that errors and glitches are a natural part of the scientific process. In fact, encountering errors can often lead to new discoveries and insights.

In this case, it's possible that there is an issue with the code or syntax used in the contour plot. I would suggest double checking the code and trying different variations to see if the error persists. It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists or experts in the field for assistance. Remember, the pursuit of knowledge and understanding often involves trial and error, and perseverance is key.

1. Why is Maple 15 giving me a headache?

There could be several reasons why Maple 15 is causing you a headache. It could be due to user error, compatibility issues with your computer, or a bug in the software. It is best to consult the Maple support team for assistance in troubleshooting the issue.

2. How can I fix the headache caused by Maple 15?

If the headache is caused by user error, make sure to review the steps you are taking and consult the software's user guide. If it is a compatibility issue, try updating your computer's operating system or hardware. If it is a software bug, contact the Maple support team for assistance.

3. Can Maple 15 cause physical headaches?

No, Maple 15 is a software program and cannot directly cause physical headaches. However, staring at a computer screen for extended periods of time can cause eye strain and headaches. It is important to take breaks and rest your eyes while using any computer program.

4. Is there a way to prevent Maple 15 from causing headaches?

Some ways to prevent headaches while using Maple 15 include taking regular breaks, adjusting the brightness and contrast of your computer screen, and ensuring proper posture while working on the computer. Additionally, keeping your computer and software up to date can help prevent compatibility issues.

5. Can I switch to a different version of Maple to avoid headaches?

You can certainly try using a different version of Maple to see if it resolves your headaches. However, keep in mind that all software programs have the potential to cause headaches, and it may be more beneficial to address the underlying issue causing the headache rather than switching to a different version of the same program.