Maple 9.5 can't recognize exp(+I*phi) = cos(phi) + I*sin(phi)

• Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple
In summary, the given equation can be simplified to (1/2)*sin(theta). However, in Maple 9.5, the simplification of exp(-I*phi)*exp(-I*phi) to exp(-2*I*phi) cannot be automated.
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

((1/2)*sin(theta)*cos(phi) - I*(1/2)*sin(theta)*sin(phi))*exp(+I*phi)

should equal:

(1/2)*sin(theta)

Or:
((1/2)*sin(theta)*cos(phi) + I*(1/2)*sin(theta)*sin(phi))*exp(+I*phi)

should equal:
(1/2)*sin(theta)*exp(+2*I*phi)

I may add: Maple 9.5 cannot make the simplification:
exp(-I*phi)*exp(-I*phi) = exp(-2*I*phi);

...I'm trying to automate Maple recognizing this: use simplify(,trig) and simplify(,size). There does not seem to be a simplify(,euler) or simplify(,complex), where one can teach Maple to recognize that cancellation. It would make my life tons easier if there was a way to do that. It must exist...somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Attempt at a Solution((1/2)*sin(theta)*cos(phi) - I*(1/2)*sin(theta)*sin(phi))*exp(+I*phi)= (1/2)*sin(theta)*exp(+I*phi)*cos(phi) - (1/2)*sin(theta)*exp(+I*phi)*sin(phi)= (1/2)*sin(theta)*exp(+I*phi)*(cos(phi) - I*sin(phi))= (1/2)*sin(theta)*exp(+I*phi)*exp(-I*phi)= (1/2)*sin(theta)*exp(+I*phi)*exp(-2*I*phi)= (1/2)*sin(theta)*exp(-I*phi)= (1/2)*sin(theta)...so maple is able to make the simplification, just not automatically.

1. Why is Maple 9.5 not recognizing the expression "exp(+I*phi) = cos(phi) + I*sin(phi)"?

Maple 9.5 is an older version of the Maple software and may not have the capability to recognize certain mathematical expressions. It is recommended to upgrade to a newer version of Maple or use a different software that can handle this expression.

2. Is there a way to make Maple 9.5 recognize the expression "exp(+I*phi) = cos(phi) + I*sin(phi)"?

Unfortunately, there is no known workaround to make Maple 9.5 recognize this expression. It is best to upgrade to a newer version of Maple or use a different software that can handle this expression.

3. Can other versions of Maple recognize the expression "exp(+I*phi) = cos(phi) + I*sin(phi)"?

Yes, newer versions of Maple, such as Maple 2020, have the capability to recognize this expression. It is recommended to upgrade to a newer version of Maple for better functionality.

4. Are there any alternatives to Maple 9.5 that can handle the expression "exp(+I*phi) = cos(phi) + I*sin(phi)"?

Yes, there are many other mathematical software programs available, such as Mathematica, MATLAB, and Python, that can handle this expression. It is recommended to explore these alternatives if upgrading to a newer version of Maple is not an option.

5. Can I manually input the value of "exp(+I*phi)" in Maple 9.5?

Yes, you can manually input the value of "exp(+I*phi)" in Maple 9.5 by using the exponential function "exp()" and the imaginary unit "I" separately. For example, if "phi" is equal to 90 degrees, you can input "exp(0.5*I*Pi)" to represent "exp(+I*phi)".