Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maple, anyone?

1. Mar 12, 2005 #1
    Hey all,

I'm having trouble setting initial conditions when solving differential equations in Maple. Here's the equation:

[tex]\theta(t)''+4\pi^2 sin(\theta(t))=0[/tex], with [tex]\theta(0)=A[/tex] and [tex]\theta'(0)=B[/tex] as initial conditions.

I'd like to solve it with a command like:
    solution:=dsolve({diff(theta(t), t, t) + 4*Pi*sin(theta(t)=0, init_conds},theta(t),numeric,range=0..4);

with something like:
    init_conds:={theta(0)=A, diff(theta, t)=B);

But it seems Maple doesn't like my way of doing things... I've searched the help file, but couldn't find one that suits my problem.

Anyone? o:) Thank you!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2005 #2
    Try this:

dsol:=(A,B)->dsolve({(D@@2)(theta)(t)+4*Pi^2*sin(theta(t)), theta(0)=A, D(theta)(0)=B}, numeric);

then the command

will evaluate the solution with ICs A = a, B = b, at t = T.
  4. Mar 13, 2005 #3
    here is what i did
    doesnt give u a nice solution but it works nonetheless

perhaps if u plugged in some values instead of "A" and "B" it might give u something more exciting
  5. Mar 13, 2005 #4
    Man, I didn't know about that D operator, the only thing I used was diff. Your help is extremely appreciated. Thanks a bunch both of you!! See my appreciation in the attachment! :smile:

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?