Fixing Maple PDE Error: pdsolve/numeric Expecting IBCs to be of Type {list, set}

• Maple
  • Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple Pde
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses an error that occurred when using the code for the pdsolve function in Maple. It is determined that the error is due to the incorrect format of the second argument, which should be a list or set of initial/boundary conditions. The solution is to reformat the IBC into a list or set and use the Maple function "Euler" to approximate the second boundary condition using the Forward Euler method. The conversation also mentions the use of the Jacobi theta_3 function in solving the problem.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I used the following code and got the error:
Code:
Error, (in pdsolve) invalid input: `pdsolve/numeric` expects its 2nd argument, IBCs, to be of type {list, set}, but received IBC

the code is:
upload_2015-7-7_9-34-23.png

upload_2015-7-7_9-34-34.png

upload_2015-7-7_9-35-27.png

how to amend this error?

Btw, the second boundary condition v_x(1,t) should be approximated by the equation ##v(1,t)=1-0.000065\cdot \int_0^t \theta_3(\tau)y^4(t-\tau)d\tau## by Forward Euler method, though I am not sure how to do this in maple.

Any tips are good for me, thanks.
P.S
##\theta_3## is Jacobi theta_3 function.
I know that in maple there's this function in the software.

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-7_9-25-19.png
    upload_2015-7-7_9-25-19.png
    899 bytes · Views: 562
  • upload_2015-7-7_9-25-51.png
    upload_2015-7-7_9-25-51.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 577
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this error to my attention. After taking a look at the code, it seems that the issue lies with the second argument of the pdsolve function, which is supposed to be a list or set of initial/boundary conditions (IBCs). However, in this case, the input IBC is not in the correct format.

To fix this error, you will need to reformat the IBC into a list or set. For example, you can write it as IBC := [v(1,t) = 1 - 0.000065*int(Theta3(tau)*y(t-tau)^4, tau = 0..t)]. This will ensure that the IBC is in the correct format for the pdsolve function.

As for approximating the second boundary condition using the Forward Euler method, you can use the Maple function "Euler" to approximate the integral. It would look something like this: IBC := [v(1,t) = 1 - 0.000065*Euler(Theta3(tau)*y(t-tau)^4, tau = 0..t)]. This will approximate the integral using the Forward Euler method and then use it as the boundary condition in the pdsolve function.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What does the error "pdsolve/numeric Expecting IBCs to be of Type {list, set}" mean?

This error means that the initial boundary conditions (IBCs) for the partial differential equation (PDE) being solved using Maple's pdsolve/numeric function are not in the correct format. Specifically, the IBCs should be provided in either a list or a set, but the input provided is not in either of these formats.

2. How do I fix this error when using Maple's pdsolve/numeric function?

To fix this error, you will need to reformat the IBCs so that they are either in a list or a set. You can do this by manually rearranging the input, or by using Maple's list or set functions to convert the input into the desired format.

3. Can this error also occur when using other functions in Maple?

Yes, this error can occur when using other functions in Maple that require IBCs to be provided in a specific format, such as pdsolve/numeric/plot or pdsolve/numeric/result.

4. How can I prevent this error from occurring in the future?

To prevent this error from occurring, make sure to carefully check the format of the IBCs before using them in any Maple functions. It may also be helpful to consult Maple's documentation or seek out tutorials on how to properly format IBCs for different functions.

5. Are there any other common errors related to IBCs in Maple's pdsolve/numeric function?

Yes, some other common errors related to IBCs in Maple's pdsolve/numeric function include "Expecting IBCs to be a list or set of equations" and "IBCs must be given for all dependent variables". These errors also indicate that the IBCs are not in the correct format or are missing important information.