1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maple seed (samara)

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    I have some questions about Maple seeds:
    1. Describe Maple seed spinning process.
    2. Does the altitude influence the speed of seed when reaches floor?
    3. Can we change the seed in a way that while it's spinning its speed also increase?
    4. Some seeds are twins! They're connected together. Do they also spin? Why?

Sorry for my bad English.
    thnx :D

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What do you think? What have you found in your searching on the Internet, say with Google and with Wikipedia.org?

4. Nov 10, 2009 #3

Mark44

Or have you tried it out with actual maple seeds? I don't know if maple trees grow in your part of the world, but where I live, there are lots of them.

5. Nov 11, 2009 #4
    I didn't find any useful information about this question from Google or Wikipedia. And, If I knew how to solve it I wouldn't discuss it here.
    Unfortunately there isn't even one maple tree in where we live.

I would appreciate anyone who helps me to solve these problems.
    Thnx.

6. Nov 11, 2009 #5

berkeman

You didn't discuss it here. You posted your homework questions for us to answer for you. Not going to happen.

How about you search Google Videos and YouTube for some clips of maple seeds falling. Post a link or two here, and give us what you think are the answers to the questions. We can go from there...

7. Nov 12, 2009 #6
    It's not a homework problem or something. But you've moved it here. I've searched about this subject for 10 days. But there is not much useful information about spinning of maple seeds. I've got the book Spinning Flight (Dynamics of Frisbees, Boomerangs, Samaras, and Skipping stones) but there wasn't also any useful information.
    You are physics experts and at least you have some information about this subject. BTW I also searched in google video and I didn't find any useful information.

Thnx.

8. Nov 12, 2009 #7

berkeman

Which of the Google Video movies have you watched, and why did they not help with your questions? Sure seems to be plenty of material there!

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=maple+seed&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f# [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook