Mapping a chromosome segment

• Thread starter physicsnnewbie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mapping
In summary, a group of overlapping clones, designated A through F, were isolated from one region of a chromosome. Each clone was separately cleaved by a restriction enzyme and the resulting fragments were resolved through agarose gel electrophoresis. There are nine different restriction fragments in this chromosomal region, with a subset appearing in each clone. By examining the overlapping fragments, the order of the restriction fragments in the chromosome can be deduced.
physicsnnewbie

Homework Statement

A group of overlapping clones, designated A through F, is isolated from one region of a chromosome. Each of the clones is seperately cleaved by a restriction enzyme and the pieces resolved by agarose gel electrophoresis, with the results shown in the figure below. There are nine different restriction fragments in this chromosomal region, with a subset appearing in each clone. Using tjis information, deduce the order of the restriction fragments in the chromosome.

Code:
  A    B   C   D    E    F
1 -        -        -   
2      -        -        -
3 -    -   -   -      
4      -    -   -        -
5 -        -    -   -   
6      -                  -
7 -    -   -   -         -
8      -            
9 -                 -

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how I go about solving this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do I look at the clones and see which pieces overlap, then use that to deduce the order of the restriction fragments in the chromosome?

I would approach this problem by first examining the results of the agarose gel electrophoresis. Based on the figure, it appears that each clone has a unique set of restriction fragments, with some fragments appearing in multiple clones. This suggests that the clones are overlapping and that the restriction fragments can be used to map the chromosome segment.

To deduce the order of the restriction fragments, I would start by identifying the fragments that appear in multiple clones. For example, fragment 2 appears in clones A, B, and C, while fragment 4 appears in clones B, D, and F. This indicates that fragments 2 and 4 are adjacent to each other in the chromosome.

Next, I would look for any other fragments that appear in multiple clones and use them to further refine the order of the restriction fragments. For example, fragment 3 appears in clones A, C, and D, while fragment 7 appears in clones C and F. This suggests that fragment 3 is located between fragments 2 and 4, and fragment 7 is located between fragments 4 and 9.

Using this approach, I would continue to compare the restriction fragments between clones and piece together the order of the fragments in the chromosome segment. In the end, I would have a map of the chromosome segment, with the restriction fragments in their correct order.

This type of mapping is important in genetics and can help us understand the structure and function of chromosomes. It can also aid in identifying genetic mutations or variations that may be associated with certain diseases or traits. Overall, this is a valuable technique in the field of genetics and can provide valuable insights into the organization of chromosomes.

1. What is mapping a chromosome segment?

Mapping a chromosome segment is the process of determining the location and order of genes or DNA sequences on a specific region of a chromosome.

2. Why is mapping a chromosome segment important?

Mapping a chromosome segment is important because it allows us to understand the genetic structure of an organism and how different traits are inherited. It also helps in identifying genetic disorders and developing treatments.

3. What techniques are used for mapping a chromosome segment?

The two main techniques used for mapping a chromosome segment are genetic mapping and physical mapping. Genetic mapping involves analyzing the frequency of recombination events to determine the distance between genes on a chromosome. Physical mapping involves identifying and ordering DNA sequences on a chromosome using methods such as fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) and DNA sequencing.

4. What is the difference between genetic mapping and physical mapping?

The main difference between genetic mapping and physical mapping is the approach used. Genetic mapping focuses on the frequency of recombination events between genes, while physical mapping involves directly identifying and ordering DNA sequences on a chromosome.

5. What are the challenges of mapping a chromosome segment?

There are several challenges involved in mapping a chromosome segment, including the complexity of the human genome, the need for advanced technology and techniques, and the possibility of errors or variations in the mapping process. Additionally, some regions of the genome may be difficult to map due to their repetitive or highly variable nature.