1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mapping Analytic Functions

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is an example in Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Erwin Kreyszig p.675 which I dont understand. If you map [tex]w=z^2[/tex] using Cartesian Co-ordinates, w is defined as
    [tex]w=u(x,y)+iv(x,y)[/tex], therefore, [tex]u=Re(z^2)=x^2-y^2[/tex] and [tex]v=Im(z^2)=2xy[/tex]. The function is graphed using u and v as the axes, and a line x=c is graphed as a parabola as is the like y=k.

What I want to understand is, that is this so because the surface we were graphing these lines on (which was the xy plane) has been warped in such a manner as to define a new plane uv so that the projection of the lines x=c and y=c, on this uv plane turns out to be a parabola? Is that so?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

w=z^2 is a nonlinear function. It's going to change lines in the z plane into curves. I'm not sure why this would surprise you. So, yes, it is so.

4. Jan 19, 2008 #3
    Thank you. Is my explanation right? The second paragraph about the space being warped?

5. Jan 19, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, yes, because the mapping of z->w is nonlinear, if that's what you mean by 'space being warped'. If you've shown they are parabolas then I think you are done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?