Bijective Mapping of Cartesian Products: X^{m} \times X^{n} to X^{m + n}?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find a bijective map g : X^{m} \times X^{n} \rightarrow X^{m + n}. The participants start by discussing the definitions of X^m and (X^m)x(X^n), and then come up with a bijection by splitting the (m+n)-tuples into an m-tuple and an n-tuple. They also mention that X^{m + n} is just X^{m} and X^{n} together.
QuantumP7

Homework Statement

Find a bijective map g : [tex]X^{m} \times X^{n} \rightarrow X^{m + n}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to begin. How would I map [tex]X^{m} \times X^{n}[/tex] in the first place? How could I map [tex]X^{m + n}[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a simple question. The only reason I can see that you would have a problem is that you don't know what the terms mean. What does X^m mean? What does (X^m)x(X^n) mean? Start looking up the definitions and state them here and I'll try and help.

Dick said:
It's a simple question. The only reason I can see that you would have a problem is that you don't know what the terms mean. What does X^m mean? What does (X^m)x(X^n) mean? Start looking up the definitions and state them here and I'll try and help.

I think that [tex](X^{m}) \times (X^{n})[/tex] means the cartesian product between the m-tuples of the set X, and the n-tuples of X. So it would be ([tex]x_{1}, x_{2}, \cdots, x_{m}[/tex]) and ([tex]x_{1}, x_{2}, \cdots, x_{n}[/tex])? So the cartesian product of the two would be (if m < n) ([tex]x_{1}, x_{2}, \cdots, x_{m}, x_{m + 1}, \cdots, x_{n}[/tex])?

QuantumP7 said:
I think that [tex](X^{m}) \times (X^{n})[/tex] means the cartesian product between the m-tuples of the set X, and the n-tuples of X. So it would be ([tex]x_{1}, x_{2}, \cdots, x_{m}[/tex]) and ([tex]x_{1}, x_{2}, \cdots, x_{n}[/tex])? So the cartesian product of the two would be (if m < n) ([tex]x_{1}, x_{2}, \cdots, x_{m}, x_{m + 1}, \cdots, x_{n}[/tex])?

Good so far. So (X^m)x(X^n) is all of the (m+n)-tuples like (x1,x2,...xm,x_m+1,...,x_m+n). You want to split that into an m-tuple (in X^m) and an n-tuple (in X^n). How about making the m-tuple (x1...xm) and the n-tuple (x_m+1...x+_m+n)? Does that define a bijection? I think it does. It's not the only one, but you only need one. Do you see why it works?

That makes perfect sense! Thank you so much!

So, the [tex] X^{m + n}[/tex] would just be the [tex] X^{m} and X^{n}[/tex] together? If so, I can definitely see a bijection between them!

QuantumP7 said:
That makes perfect sense! Thank you so much!

So, the [tex] X^{m + n}[/tex] would just be the [tex] X^{m} and X^{n}[/tex] together? If so, I can definitely see a bijection between them!

Yes, pretty much. You might want to think about how you would formally prove it's a bijection if needed. But seeing how it works is good start.

Ok, I get it! Thank you soooooo much!

What is a cartesian product?

A cartesian product is an operation that combines two sets of elements to create a new set of ordered pairs. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is often used in computer science and data analysis.

How is a cartesian product represented?

A cartesian product is typically represented using the notation A x B, where A and B are the two sets being combined. A common example is the cartesian plane, where the x-axis and y-axis represent two sets of real numbers.

What is the purpose of mapping cartesian products?

The purpose of mapping cartesian products is to visualize the relationship between elements in two sets. By plotting the ordered pairs on a graph, we can see how the elements in one set correspond to the elements in the other set.

What are some real-world applications of mapping cartesian products?

Cartesian products have many real-world applications, such as in navigation systems to map geographical coordinates, in economics to analyze supply and demand curves, and in genetics to study the inheritance of traits.

What are some common misconceptions about mapping cartesian products?

One common misconception is that the cartesian product is commutative, meaning the order of the sets does not matter. However, in reality, the order of the sets does matter and the resulting ordered pairs will be different if the order is switched. Another misconception is that the cartesian product is always a square grid, but in reality, the resulting graph can take on various shapes depending on the sets being combined.